Weird Postcode B4 IPMI Issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I'm on a X10SRW-F Supermicro MB with latest bios and ipmi. MB hangs at postcode B4 when I insert an ISO through virtual media. However, if I eject the virtual media, it boots fine. Any ideas?

Many thanks.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
I'm having the same issue on one of my older motherboards. Updated to the latest BIOS/IPMI firmware did not resolve it. Did you ever find a fix?

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Well, I tried reflashing and wiping the IPMI and BIOS configuration with the same B4 hangup issue =/

wittydesk3577

Nov 23, 2023
B4 supposed to be enumerating pluggable usb devices on AMI bios, combined with vmedia (which is a usb cdrom device), it could be that your network to BMC isn't very reliable, so the iso can't be read.

Have you tried to do a `mc reset cold` or checking if the network is stable enuf?

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
B4 supposed to be enumerating pluggable usb devices on AMI bios, combined with vmedia (which is a usb cdrom device), it could be that your network to BMC isn't very reliable, so the iso can't be read.

Have you tried to do a `mc reset cold` or checking if the network is stable enuf?
The network is fine, as I have a few other functioning machines on that segment of my LAN.

I've tried the following:

1. cold reset
2. reflash firmware and reset to defaults
3. reflash of the BIOS with loading defaults
4. tried different cables and even used one from a known working machine
5. All ISOs fail so it's not a specific one

I'm using the latest IPMIView and have three Supermicro A1SRi-2558F servers. If I load an ISO and boot it, it'll hang at B4 until I "unplug" the ISO, at which point it will continue to boot correctly. I've noticed that when I plug in an ISO in FreeBSD, the system recognizes the drive but immediately starts spitting out errors about being able to read it. Could there be something faulty with my BMC?

Here is a capture of what it looks like when trying to plug the ISO in while the OS is running.

1700754463491.png

Last edited: