Weird network traffic

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
So I have a really weird situation going on with my network.

Every now and then (but for a sustained period) I get a constant 180kB/s being sent from my linux desktop's LAN connection with a corresponding 180kB/s travelling across my 5GHz wifi network and 100kB/s travelling over my 2.4GHz wifi network. When this traffic occurs the wifi network also becomes unconnectable for devices. There is little if any traffic upload traffic on the wifi interfaces or through the router's WLAN interface.

Disconnecting my desktop from the LAN stops the behavior, but it starts up again upon reconnection. Restarting the router doesn't stop the traffic (obviously once the router's back up).

Anyone know how I can even start to resolve the issue?

Desktop: Linux 16.04,
Router: ASUS RT-N66U,
Wifi devices: a couple AppleTV's, iphones, pcs and printers.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
doing tcpdump it looks like there is a udp multicast from [local]:49575 > 224.0.0.56.46272

doing lsof -i :49575 -S returns pulseaudio as the service.

Now to figure out a way to kill it without having it respawn...

Reactions: wiretap

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Yeah, I saw those as soon as I had the destination & program.

This had been bugging me on and off for probably over a year. But within an hour here I had it sorted.

I still have pulse audio running, just turned off all the network broadcasting options.