We test T series Intel Xeon Scalable to see if there is a performance impact

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Higher tcase is better ? I thought a chip in theory may be more efficient if it has a lower tcase, meaning that the chip could perform as stated but if the tcase max was lower it therefor must be doing the same work generating less heat and hence less power.
Not something I have ever really worried or thought about too much and seems that’s good because it has little impact from your testing but was just one of those intel ark specs that was interesting to different for all the different model cpu’s

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Tcase isn't about the amount of heat the chip generates. Its about what the chip can tolerate. Embedded applications get installed in places with poor environmental controls, so a chip that can tolerate more extreme conditions is desired.

Reactions: eva2000

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Look at it this why, why should an e5-2640v4 not be able to generally tolerate as much heat as a 2680v4, they are the same process etc so I don’t see why they should be able to tolerate similar conditions, if you said can operate at then it makes more sense.
Any that’s why I could see people common up with the theory T chips may do better than the rugular ones but as you say it really seems like it’s the heat they can tolerate. (Which would mean a 2680v4 can probably work better in a hot server than a 2640v4 fan despite the chip it’s self being a higher TDP)