Warm? X5680s more than 10 @ 185/ each

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
i'm in a rental situation (landlord) so utilities are only a quarter of what they should be. And I can offset it by hopefully selling my L5639s. Haven't pulled the trigger but thinking about it.
I personally would go for X5670 even if power bill isn't the concern here, this is the top 95W chip and much quieter/cooler. They're going for about $85 BO and easily $90s BIN, just 2 steps slower but half the price seems to be worth it to me. IMO X5660 and X5670 is the sweet spot for Westmeres right now.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Seller accepted 90 each, got two for 180 shipping being free.

Thanks guys.
So are you going to run both in 1 machine even if they're not matched?

I shelled out around 400 for 2x5680 just because they were matched pair... seem to get a premium for that :/ oh-well, these things ARE FAST compared to the L chips especially.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015

I shelled out around 400 for 2x5680 just because they were matched pair... seem to get a premium for that :/ oh-well, these things ARE FAST compared to the L chips especially.
Curious, how "matched" is "matched"? Does it just mean it's been tested in a machine? I thought same SSpec/stepping was good enough for SMP?

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com

I've not had issues with unmatched chips before. I think the L5630s I am running now are unmatched, just the same chip. If I do this time, it's a lot nicer on the wallet than almost 400 bucks.

I wasn't aware that one needed to have the chips from the same batch to get SMP working. I figure if they're the same stepping, same revision, and the same model number I'm good.

Reactions: chinesestunna

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I've not had issues with unmatched chips before. I think the L5630s I am running now are unmatched, just the same chip. If I do this time, it's a lot nicer on the wallet than almost 400 bucks.

I wasn't aware that one needed to have the chips from the same batch to get SMP working. I figure if they're the same stepping, same revision, and the same model number I'm good.
Agreed, that was my understanding as well and just wondered what experiences people have had

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've seen way too much variance in heat/etc to want to run unmatched pairs, but that's just me. I'm a bit picky on the small details as I expect the stuff to run a long time and/or be very stable.

Also, when I was shopping the single x5680s were going for 180$ to $220 each so $400 for both seemed a deal to me, and IMHO it still is a deal today for 2 6 cores at that frequency, the thing will be a beast. I plan to use it as my MySQL test bed among others like SSD testing, etc...

However, I do run some non-matched CPUs :) just depends how great the deal.