Wanting to mount my switch to my telecom cabinet - plastic adapter?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Funks

May 9, 2024
I'm trying to mount my NetGear switch inside my telecom cabinet in my condo and was wondering what type of plastic mounting adapter I can use to adapt the star looking mounting point on the switch (looks like a screw head can slide in?)

S2.jpg

To the mounting cabinet holes

S1.jpg

Tried strong 3M double sided tape but it eventually falls off.

Is there a better solution?

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
I've used small neodymium super magnets to do this with similar small metal units like that ( netgear 5 port switches and edgerouter er-x ) to 'stick' them direct to the metal cabinet - works really well, if anything almost TOO well ( don't go for big magnets - becomes very hard to remove the unit )

you can stack the magnets if you want to get a bit more stand-off from the cabinet for airflow/cooling

other option is a 'blank' module like this which should mount to standard telco cabinet holes like the existing module in your pic. I've used these for things with plastic cases ( short self-tapping screws thru the blank to go into slots like you show on the switch ) - only thing to watch is you loose cabinet depth using them

Funks

May 9, 2024
you can stack the magnets if you want to get a bit more stand-off from the cabinet for airflow/cooling
Much thanks, will get a couple of magnets and see if it holds.

In standard racks with square holes, people use cage nuts so I was thinking about trying a couple well but these rectangular holes look smaller.

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
most of the in-wall cabinets I've seen just use the round holes - seems to be fairly 'standard' with lots of modules from different vendors that work with them ( mount via push-pin same as on that Legrand HTE-1012 shown in your picture )

square holes look way too small for proper rack nuts ( and the steel in those cabinets is so thin they wouldn't take much load even if they did fit ) - may just be intended for cable-ties?