W790 Motherboard discussion thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Culbrelai

Jan 2, 2021
Which one is the best for OC? I heard the only one with adequate vrm’s is the SAGE? Considering doing a build on this platform (multipurpose work and gaming)

kathampy

Oct 25, 2017
Which one is the best for OC? I heard the only one with adequate vrm’s is the SAGE? Considering doing a build on this platform (multipurpose work and gaming)
The ASRock W790 WS has double the VRM phases of the other boards. All the boards have over-specified VRMs even for a 2000 W sustained load. You are unlikely to exceed 1000 W with liquid cooling. I would choose based on the PCIe slot layout and after-sales support. You will need BIOS fixes on these boards as they are all buggy especially when overclocking. See my post above.

Culbrelai

Jan 2, 2021
The ASRock W790 WS has double the VRM phases of the other boards. All the boards have over-specified VRMs even for a 2000 W sustained load. You are unlikely to exceed 1000 W with liquid cooling. I would choose based on the PCIe slot layout and after-sales support. You will need BIOS fixes on these boards as they are all buggy especially when overclocking. See my post above.
good info thanks. Just based on Asrock’s support for you makes me want to buy theirs, and the fact its $400 less than Asus’s. I have a PSU, case, and so on. For cooler, cpu ram and mobo it would be about $3000. Yikes. Gotta find some used ram lol

twin_savage

Jan 26, 2018
After being disappointed with the complete lack of higher density XMP RDIMM kits available I broke down and bought some normal 4800MHz 64GB Hynix sticks; turns out the 4800MHz server stuff will overclock just fine as long as you can cool it, I'm running DDR5-5945MHz 34-38-38-96 timings @ 1.35v on the memory now and am getting some pretty good bandwidth numbers.

pics of build:
1.jpg

2.jpg

JosefHrib

Jul 25, 2023
My friend ordered W790 for same, for work and gaming, ordered Asus W790 SAGE SE but it was hard choice because as second choice was ASRock W790 WS. ASRock have better VRM, Builtin WiFi, 2xThunderbolt, but have one big minus only 4-channel memory versus Asus with 8-channel. So he ordered Asus and additional bought PCIe WiFi with Intel AX210. What I read so for OC is actual best ASRock because have topper VRM from all W790 motherboards.

Reactions: Culbrelai

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
This may be off topic but I was not sure if it is worthwhile to create another thread. WS790 motherboards will not take Xeon CPUs something we discussed before on this thread, this stops the tradition of shared CPUs between server and workstation platforms.

Given that, let me recap my understanding:

- Broadwell is the last platform that allows shared CPUs between HEDT, Workstaion and Server platforms.
- Cascade Lake is the last platform that allows dual socket workstation motherboards, there is no more after it. ASUS WS621e SAGE is the last dual socket motherboard you can buy other than custom HP, Dell and Lenovo workstations.
- Ice Lake is the last platform that allows you to buy server CPUs to be used in workstation. Asrock C621A WS is the only motherboard that allow you to use an Ice Lake cpu in workstation. There are no Ice Lake based workstation from Dell, HP etc.

Given how expensive the new Sapphire Rapid platform is, I am curious what will happen to workstation market.

kathampy

Oct 25, 2017
This may be off topic but I was not sure if it is worthwhile to create another thread. WS790 motherboards will not take Xeon CPUs something we discussed before on this thread, this stops the tradition of shared CPUs between server and workstation platforms.

Given that, let me recap my understanding:

- Broadwell is the last platform that allows shared CPUs between HEDT, Workstaion and Server platforms.
- Cascade Lake is the last platform that allows dual socket workstation motherboards, there is no more after it. ASUS WS621e SAGE is the last dual socket motherboard you can buy other than custom HP, Dell and Lenovo workstations.
- Ice Lake is the last platform that allows you to buy server CPUs to be used in workstation. Asrock C621A WS is the only motherboard that allow you to use an Ice Lake cpu in workstation. There are no Ice Lake based workstation from Dell, HP etc.

Given how expensive the new Sapphire Rapid platform is, I am curious what will happen to workstation market.
Why would anyone want to put a low-clock-speed server Xeon in these boards? The Xeon-W starts from sub-$400 IIRC. I don’t see any artificial segmentation here. The platform is not qualified for server CPUs. On this low-volume enthusiast workstation platform the board partners should focus on overclocking and extreme performance. On the AMD side there is further segmentation with Threadripper PRO.

Chestorx

May 25, 2023
Guys, tell me this board is Pro WS W790E-SAGE SE, I created raid arrays in the BIOS, but when installing Windows 11, I downloaded drivers from the Asus website onto my board, and when installing these drivers, I install the raid array, but when installing, Windows says that there are no suitable disks for installation. What could be the problem? VROC PREMIUMKEY Installed.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020
Guys, tell me this board is Pro WS W790E-SAGE SE, I created raid arrays in the BIOS, but when installing Windows 11, I downloaded drivers from the Asus website onto my board, and when installing these drivers, I install the raid array, but when installing, Windows says that there are no suitable disks for installation. What could be the problem? VROC PREMIUMKEY Installed.
I have only used VROC with Server 2019 and on a different chipset, but here's what I know:
1) The BIOS has a firmware level driver - this is how you can interact with the VROC settings in the BIOS. In the Supermicro board I use VROC on, it allows configuring an array, etc. in the BIOS. Though I have never done it that way.
2) For Server 2019 you need to load a driver @ Windows installation if you need to see the array (I do not install the OS on VROC, but it is supported).

Note: the Windows level driver needs to be the same rev or newer than the version of the driver in the BIOS.

See here for which driver to use: Intel VROC driver selection @ Windows install

For posterity since Intel is likely to drop VROC soon:
Resolution
For Intel® VROC NVMe RAID, choose iaVROC.free.win8.64bit.ver.

For Intel® VROC SATA RAID (formerly Intel® RSTe), choose iaStorE.free.win8.64bit.ver.

Kizune

Dec 2, 2022
Before installing W11 put unpacked VROC drivers on some USB flash drive then during installation click “have drivers” link, browse to the folder with the VROC drivers and Len Windows installer load them. When drivers are loaded just rescan disks - your VROC drive should be visible now.

Reactions: sam55todd