VMware vSphere Essentials

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kromberg

Jan 18, 2021
I am thinking about purchasing this for my home lab, but I got a couple of questions I want to ask here here before I go to VMware directly.

1) Can you specify the version of ESXI you want or do you automatically get x7.0u3?
2) A total of 3 servers and 2 sockets per server is supported. Is the license bound to those initial servers or is it only 3 servers can be part of the group? For example, if one server dies can I replace it it with a new server and still fall under the 3 server license?
3) I assume a basic vCenter comes with it, but does not include vMotion or the other advanced features correct?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Since it is for a home lab, you may want to consider VMUG Advantage in stead of buying a normal license, it (the evalexperience part of the subscription) will give you access to a lot of cool stuff (if you are into VMware).

Last edited:
Reactions: dswartz

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
VMUG Advantage will give you access to all Vmware products for your home lab including all the Enterprise Plus level features.
ESXi Licesing goes per total count of active hosts/sockets (over 32 physical CPU cores per socket need additional licenses, but I doubt you'd have this problem at home. If the host dies, you bring up a new host with the same socket count => no changes in licensing needed.

You can specify ESXi/vcenter version to download, but I am not 100% if with VMUG you must stay within 7th Gen licensing or downgrade/upgrades supported

TRACKER

Jan 14, 2019
guys, one maybe dummy question, why it is necessary to pay for license, can we just use what's available on internet?

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Not sure what you mean by "what's available on internet". Do you mean reverse engineered licenses that are up on warez sites? If so, not good to discuss that here. If not, I'm not sure what you mean, as there are no free licenses for vsphere. There are licenses in trial mode, which aren't useful for long-term. There is a free license, but that severely limits what you can do.

TRACKER

Jan 14, 2019
yes, i guess anyone who wants can just google it and find whatever license is needed, trial licenses are no-go of course.
i don't want to discuss it here because (i guess) it is against the rules, but at the end of the day if you use it for home lab, then why not?
i mean, should anyone expect problems in case reverse engineered licenses are being used?

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Well, ethical aside, no reputable site will host hacked licenses for any products, so if you trust warez sites, well, good luck.

kromberg

Jan 18, 2021
guys, one maybe dummy question, why it is necessary to pay for license, can we just use what's available on internet?
If you shell out several thousand dollars on hardware, a few hundred on software is not that big of a deal.

TRACKER

Jan 14, 2019
If you shell out several thousand dollars on hardware, a few hundred on software is not that big of a deal.
yes, in that case it makes sense. but if you have to pay many thousands of dollars (much more that actual hardware price) just for license of something, which is used for homelab, then...not much sense

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
yes, in that case it makes sense. but if you have to pay many thousands of dollars (much more that actual hardware price) just for license of something, which is used for homelab, then...not much sense
No one is suggesting something that costs many thousands of dollars, VMUG advantage is $200/year.
If you don't like that you could always use free Open Source software like oVirt.

I am not really seeing the advantage of using "What's available on the internet".