VMWare shared storage optimization question (blocksizes)

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by Rand__, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Hi,

been wondering for a while and saw other ppl have the same question but didn't find a definitive answer, so here it goes...

When building a shared storage for a ESX box (or cluster) - what is the most appropriate measurement to take in running synthetic benchmarks?

O/c one must differentiate between infrastructure activity (create/move vms) and application activity (Exchange/Database VM).

The latter will usually depend on the application so its difficult to specify an universal value.

Therefore i'd like to restrict this to infrastructure, so
    -A - VMotion
    -B - Create a new VM (thick provision)
    -C - maybe regular OS activity

Secondary aspect is o/c the number of concurrent threads (do I need low QD optimized drives or deep QD) but thats fairly individual too so I'd like to look at low QD.

I always looked for 4K random writes but nowadays I am not sure thats it.
    I ran some tests recently on a Compuverde cluster and they have a nice Gui feature where you can (roughly) see the block size being used.
    I have not checked B or C explicitly but A was in between <128K (but not <64K) segment so it might be 64K.

Does anyone have more specific info?

2. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

3. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Well that describes the storage block size, so that might be applicable for B and C.
    1MB standard (user configurable at datastore creation time)

The other question is what is the transfer chunk size on a vmotion?
    Is that read block wise (say 1MB) and then split into TCP frames (1500 or 9k) and then spewed out at whatever comes in? Or aggregated at NIC/OS level and written in 1MB chunks? (only to be split into smaller chunks at physical level again)

4. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

That was true for vmfs <5, now it's 1mb only
    If I remeber correctly files/data (the 1mb block) is split in smaller datagrams (tcp, up to 64kb) and then again at ethernet level (layer 2 in osi, 1500~9kb). On the other side the os puts the tcp datagrams back together in the right order and writes it (the 1mb block) to the filesystem.

5. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

so read would be 64K blocks and Write 1MB chunks?

Then its weird I saw 64KB (most liekly) block writes on Compuverde

6. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

No, the os (esxi) reads a 1mb block from the block device which could be a ssd, a hdd or a lun into ram.

In the tcp layer the 1mb block can be split into 64kb segments and so on:
    [​IMG]

7. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

So everything is read/written at 1MB blocks? Hm it did not look that way, weird

8. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

Yes and no :D

Esxi read and writes in 1mb parts. IF you have a lun or nfs server it will depend on the underlying storage and how it's implemented and so on.

Lets say you have a raid 10/zfs mirrors with 8 ssds and a stripe size of 128kb. When esxi writes a block the storage server will split the data in 128kb stripes and distribute it over the mirrors (each mirror has to write two stripes a la 128kb).

That's probably what you have seen in the compuverde cluster.

:)D)

9. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Hm that might be.
    But then the display would be kind of useless as it would always show the internal decided/configured blocksize.

Will run some tests if a 1MB ATTO or fio run displays similar speeds as a vmotion :)

Thanks