VLANs not working :(

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Now if I set a VLAN-ID:100 up on ports 2 and 4 of the switch, then PC2 connected to port 2 and PC4 connected to port 4 happily see each other.

Then I choose to set the Access point SSID to the same VLAN-ID:100, and plug that into port 4 of the switch instead, but no devices attached to the SSID can see PC2....

All devices are on the same subnet.

Do wireless access-point VLAN SSIDs work differently? or am I just being a total noob here and missing something completely obvious (not to I of course)....???

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
My guess is that your AP is using the connection as a trunk, and tagging the packets with the VLAN. While what you set was the default VLAN for untagged packets. Exactly how that interacts is going to depend on the vendor. Set a switch port allow VLAN 100 tagged and plug the AP into that. I suspect your switch isn't set to allow the tagged packets, so it's dropping them. It would be more friendly to notice that the tag matches the default ID and use that, but I could see it going either way.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Right. Yes I assumed it would be tagging, as native vlan is coming through fine, as in I can shell to the AP. It's only the tagged guest-SSID vlan which isn't. I'll tinker further...

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
star trek inspired the solution, I had the wrong cable in the wrong port, it happens lol