virtualization on Quanta WindMill newbie questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Is anyone else currently running something like ESXi on one of those Quanta WindMill setups?

I'm a bit of a newbie to all this (but you already know that, half of you roll your eyes at my posts as it is >_>) i'm just trying to understand my options. Please correct any misunderstandings I have...

My first question is since I assume ESXi is a bare metal solution, whether it has drivers it needs to properly run in the first place. I would assume yes, seems to be Intel C602 and such, but i'd rather hear from someone with a running system.

From what I understand, if that part works, I could in theory run newer guest OS's than even the native hardware supports. Like if I really need to run Windows 10 - I just plunk that into a guest OS. Or if I need to run MacOSX - that can work as a guest OS. Neither will run natively but should probably run fine under ESXi - I don't fully understand how passthru things work (or whether it's necessary) other than my most ambitious thing would be if something like a 1050 GTX Ti could be accessible to a guest OS to run CUDA type accelerations.

My last question is what are the main alternatives to ESXi to do things similar to this in the meanwhile? It's a bit of a spendy bit of software, one I don't think I can touch for awhile... one I might PLAN to run eventually on hardware i'd choose for future compatibility now, but without paying business gigs wont happen for a bit. Yet i'm not sure if Xen for instance is directly comparable, just as compatible, or whether there are viable options besides Xen as well to consider.

It's also possible my 'virtualization needs' might be met by a normal VMware for desktop instead of going all ESX too - feel free to herd me in the right direction. My primary needs are related around needing to run different operating systems each with different tools mostly centered around video editing and production, 3d rendering, VFX processing, etc while sharing out some of the not-in-use cores and RAM for more petty home uses i'd want firewalled off being done while the server has to process away video all day anyway. I'd like the stability i've heard virtualization offers and concurrent OS ability so I can avoid having separate PC's on just to access Win Mac and Lin at the same time on a project, also the ability to freeze a known-good configuration uncorrupted and to have installed software on a guest OS that I could boot up on machines of different specs based on whats available. (ie a more power efficient server build vs fast to get job done) But i'm confused by many of the buzzwords and marketing so I might be misunderstanding what kind and level of virtualization I really need for each use...

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
ESXi is Free with basic functionality and runs perfectly fine on the Quanta Windmill Hardware. Myself and a bunch of other people have done it.

Reactions: Twice_Shy
ESXi is Free with basic functionality and runs perfectly fine on the Quanta Windmill Hardware. Myself and a bunch of other people have done it.
Wow, okay, I had gotten confused while searching seeing expensive prices listed for things related to it with it not being exactly clear what does what...

What are the best use cases favoring ESXi free vs paid (or even vs the nonbaremetal systems that run right on win/lin), or vs Xen and HyperV and similar? I'm not looking to become a virtualization guru, I just consider investigating them all a bit to be relevant to both figuring out how to best solve my computer problems (and possibly finding solutions for problems I didn't know I had/ie realizing "hey that IS a useful feature if I can (x) I didn't even know you could do that...") - scanning around a bit it sounds like the only limit is 8 cores on a guest machine so far. (not sure if that means 8 threads, or 8 cores - ie a dual quadcore/eight thread xeon can throw all power at one VM)