Video card for P4000/S2600CP combo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Seems I just wasted some money :( I want to have Hyper-V with RemoteFX and got card from the bottom of their "approved" list:
ATI FirePro V5800 Professional Graphics 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM Used/Tested

And it doesn't fit :( This metal thingy on a back I can remove I guess, but even if I do - card will interfere with a RAM modules.

Any suggestion on what card I can use? I don't need "super" fast card, just something where DirectX apps, etc will move decently.. If there is card without fan and it will fit and will work with Hyper-V - even better.

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
GTX 750 with passive heatsink, external power not required. Still takes 2x pci spaces though.
GTX 750ti maybe.
GTX 950 versions that don't require external power. These might be short enough. I think ASUS makes a version that's shorter than a regular card.

Intel S2600CP has several PCIe slots. Why don't you just plug into the lane that doesn't interfere with the RAM modules? You don't "have to" plug in the graphics card into the 16x lane right next to the processor. Or do the other lanes not fit either?

Last edited:

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Intel S2600CP has several PCIx slots. Why don't you just plug into the lane that doesn't interfere with the RAM modules? You don't "have to" plug in the graphics card into the 16x lane right next to the processor. Or do the other lanes not fit either?
Videocard got this "long" connector. There is only one like that close to RAM/CPU (first one) - see image..

Attachments

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
Plug them into the blue slot farthest away from the CPU. It should work. Might not be optimal, but it should work. Let me check the manual.

katit

Mar 18, 2015

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
You can plug in x16 cards into x8 open slot lanes and they usually work. Cards still communicate with the board, it's just that they may not have enough bandwidth for the amount of data transfer you ask of the video card.

PCIe cards are also usually backwards compatible. They just won't take advantage of the faster signaling standards.

Last edited:

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Ah!! I see what you mean. Those blue slots is open at the end. Live and learn :) Yes, it is probably going to fit in a middle blue one.
What about power? Does it need additional power? I'm talking about card I linked.. It's got some smaller connector on top.
Also, can I remove this metal thingy? Is that just a mounting option?

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
I'm unsure about the metal thingy, product pictures don't seem to have them so you probably won't miss it. :)

You'll need to provide additional power using the external connector.

In the old days, PCI/ISA (!) cards required usage of all pins. PCIe cards don't, as they now communicate via "lanes" (think of each lane as an ethernet port) and do not require connecting all pins. Probably the simplest way to explain it without going into any details.

Reactions: katit

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Took that panel off and it did fit OK. And seem to be working :)
However, I DID NOT find any power connector and it is running as is...

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Another question. Not sure it is related or not but I'm having problems with console redirection now.

So, GPU installed. I downloaded and installed ATI drivers. Now under device manager I have conflicting Display Adapter (see picture)

My thought was OK. That means I probably need to disable onboard video in BIOS.

So, I go to RMM, launch console redirection and don't see anything? I reboot and it shows first 3 lines with BIOS version, etc. Nothing else. Computer keeps booting and I can remote desktop into Windows. But console redirection does not work anymore.

Is that something to be expected when GPU installed?

Any help on those issues?

Attachments

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
Another question. Not sure it is related or not but I'm having problems with console redirection now.

So, GPU installed. I downloaded and installed ATI drivers. Now under device manager I have conflicting Display Adapter (see picture)

So, I go to RMM, launch console redirection and don't see anything? I reboot and it shows first 3 lines with BIOS version, etc. Nothing else. Computer keeps booting and I can remote desktop into Windows. But console redirection does not work anymore.

It doesn't sound like a standard behavior, but I wouldn't know for sure. Last time I played around with this board, I found it very finicky and didn't play nice with a lot of things. You might want to use the system as is, or try CMOS reset and hope for the best. Either way, I would just ignore the conflict display adapter message if I were you.

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016

I think that the board only redirects graphics to the RMM module from the onboard graphics. It's possible that with a discrete GPU installed, that after that first initial post the board is outputting all video out over the GPU you installed, so it's not showing anything in the console redirect anymore.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Yeah. I went ahead and removed this card. More trouble than it's worth (you can check my topics in Hyper-V section on why I had it and what I got with it).