Viable ITX Hardware Options for FreeNAS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
I want to rebuild my FreeNAS server and move to ITX. I am looking at the options and they are pretty slim. Ideally, I want to be able to support 6 x 3.5" and at least 2 x 2.5" with the option to have 3.5" in all drive slots.

I do like the DS380 but i've seen people complain about Heat issues. At the same time, I would love to use a lower core count Xeon D Flex which would allow me to also leverage the 4 x 2.5" internal drive bays in the DS380 but I know the motherboard does not quite fit.

The Asrock C2750D4I is getting long in the tooth and has been out for a while so i'd hate to invest in something that could be legacy around the corner...plus it only has 8 SATA6.0GB ports, although on three separate controllers. It would be ideal if all the ports were 6GB but I digress.

I would like to run at least 64GB RAM and have 10Gb either through add-on card or on board, SFP+ or 10Gb-BaseT, doesn't matter. I have spare DDR3 1333 ECC 8GB sticks I could use with the C2750D4I.

Another thought would be to get the Norco 8 bay case as well but again, i'm beholding to the Asrock, as my only viable option.

Actually, I could get a Xeon D 4 core w/10Gb on board and put in a HBA I suppose. Anyone doing that with the DS380 and using all 12 drive bays?

I know this seems like rambling but wanted to get some input here. Again, ITX, quiet, at least 64GB, 10Gb, at least 8 drive slots supporting both 3.5" or 2.5", more the better and at least 6GB SAS or SATA,

Ok so here's what i'm thinking, crossing out what I have already:

Silverstone DS380
Corsair SFX Power supply
Supermicro X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F
64GB DDR4 2133/2400 whichever I find cheapest
IBM 1015 flashed to IT mode with latest firmware
Supermicro SAS to thin SATA Breakout x 2 (primary drive bay)
Supermicro Sata cables thin to 4 x 2.5" drive bay
Custom sleeved power cables
3 x Noctua Fans
8 x Seagate NAS 4TB
2 x Intel S3700 200GB SSD

Last edited:
Reactions: wsuff and K D

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I sold a DS380 with all 8x bays loaded with 3.5", a HBA, and 4x SSD in the back... no problems here.
There's a thread someplace here with pictures, I added an ultra-thin fan (120mm) opposite of the 2x existing fans.
My 8x 3.5" were WD RE so they were not "cool" RED either.

I really liked that tiny case! Once ITX XeonD drop in price I'll build one for sure!

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I just bought a DS380 setup with the C27504DI

As you stated it's a bit dated but the high core count Denvertons seem to be a ways off.

Although some of the ports are SATA3.0 gbps, it shouldn't really matter for your spinners.

Let's me save the PCIe slot for an NVMe AIC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Thanks fellas. I really, really like how SingularityComputers modded his setup, so clean. I should contact him to see if he can do the same for me.

Alas..he lives in Australia...damn..lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitrobass24

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Let me know if you end up contacting him, I might be interested in doing something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Why not just do what he did yourself? It looks like he did it all in that video time frame re: basic custom wiring... the molex power is just push-on like he shows, super cheap for those parts on ebay same with wire. Not too sure what's the deal with the fan cables, mine never were in the way at all in fact some were borderline short (the extra fan I added BARELY fit had to carefully put side panel on).

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@nitrobass24 has my former DS380 with the ASRrock Rack motherboard. I downsized to fewer larger drives so I did not need that much capacity.

Right now, the FreeNAS Mini and XL are based on that board. To me, that is a major plus.

CPU wise, the C2750 is more than enough for FreeNAS in the 1-10GbE range.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Why not just do what he did yourself? It looks like he did it all in that video time frame re: basic custom wiring... the molex power is just push-on like he shows, super cheap for those parts on ebay same with wire. Not too sure what's the deal with the fan cables, mine never were in the way at all in fact some were borderline short (the extra fan I added BARELY fit had to carefully put side panel on).
I may just do that. Probably gonna pull the trigger on the case and the PS today. I'm supposed to be on $ "lock down" so this will be a longer project. I'll just use my current NAS until I have everything but at least I can work on the mods and get all the correct measurements for the SAS-SATA Breakout cables..etc.

I look at the C2750 for the price as a tad too high when I compare it to the Supermicro X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F, $399 vs $491, the additional $100 gets me 10Gb, up to 128GB DDR4 and allows me to add a modern HBA and leverage the onboard 6GB SATA ports.

That's worth it IMHO.

Reactions: Evan and T_Minus

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I had this setup till about 2 months ago but with a consumer asus board and an i5 with an adaptec raid card.

A few things that may help:

Plan to ditch the magnetic mesh that comes with the case for the hdd fans. I saw a 10 degree difference in drive temps with it removed. I just left the fans without a glance guard.

I was using cardboard to block airflow leakage from the hdd fans but recently saw a 3d printed part for that. Looked cleaner so installed that.

You may have to cut a small notch off the drive bay 4 plastic. Otherwise add on cards may not fit. I can check with a m1015 and let you know.

If you are going to buy wire to build cables I recommend you buy the corsair psu style ribbon cables.

Overall I definitely like this case to build in. The u-nas cases are quieter with the stock fans but are a pain to build.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Here are some pics that may help visualize how to route cables as well as showing the details I mentioned above. I can't get to the M1015 today(running a backup in the server that has it) but the adaptec card I have in there is about 165cm long.

I recently removed the noctuas to use for a different build and replaced them with SP120s. And since this is a decommissioned box did not spend too much time in putting it back together. So the cable routing is not the best. But since this is a file server and the internals are not on display, the primary objective is not to obstruct airflow and that is easy to achieve.

3d printed part : Cooling Duct for SilverStone D380B by briancmoses

IMG_0904.jpg IMG_0906.jpg IMG_0907.JPG IMG_0909.jpg

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Had to notch mine for m1015.

Drive still fit perfect.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Let me know if you go with this build. I may have another SATA power cable that fits the 4 internal bays like the one I have in the pic.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Planning to build a backup server with the same config that @msvirtualguy has mentioned in the OP. As I mentioned in the previous post I already have this running a consumer board. Will have to change some cabling to suit the new board ( the power cable orientation is different). Recovering from a hand injury and should get the brace off in a couple of weeks. Sourcing the parts in the meantime. Will post build log once it's done.