Verifying authenticity of SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
I've been purchasing a variety of Intel DC SSDs off ebay lately from a variety of sellers ranging from large well known equipment liquidators to sketchy sellers with 0 feedback. Given the prices for SSDs seem insanely high right now and an awareness of the rampant problem of fake/counterfeit flash cards (e.g. Counterfeit SD Card Problem is Widespread | EE Times), I've been trying to figure out how to verify I'm getting legit drives.

Obviously I've been pulling the SMART data off them and I can verify the model/serial number reported matches the model/serial number that appear on the drive sticker. For the non-oem drives I can lookup the serial on Intel's warranty site, but outside of opening up the drive and looking at the chips/controller is there anything else that is suggested?

Or maybe I'm just being paranoid, this isn't a problem, and I should just chill?