VDX6740 reboot loops recovery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mrknockoff

Nov 14, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I've got a VDX6740T-1G that's doing the reboot loops. After a while it does boot, but this is getting longer and longer.

Its come from a server hardware auction (not ebay, an actual server hardware auction) so I'm sure its had a long enterprise data center life.
I would assume its had the excessive writes bug firmware on it for decent amount of time. Good chance the CF card is in pretty bad condition.

Do I:
1. Replace the card, do a fresh netinstall with current firmware and then upgrade after its done?
2. Clone the existing CF card to the replacement card and then do a netinstall?
3. Just do a clean netinstall on the existing card and it may sort out the reboot loops?

Apologies if its been answered before. I did have a look through old threads but did see the specific answers around replacement and cloning etc.
I'm not a network engineer so im not used to dealing with switches and their memory cards etc, but can work my way through it.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
What you do would be dependent on what the messages the console shows when it reboots.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hi Everyone,

I've got a VDX6740T-1G that's doing the reboot loops. After a while it does boot, but this is getting longer and longer.

Its come from a server hardware auction (not ebay, an actual server hardware auction) so I'm sure its had a long enterprise data center life.
I would assume its had the excessive writes bug firmware on it for decent amount of time. Good chance the CF card is in pretty bad condition.

Do I:
1. Replace the card, do a fresh netinstall with current firmware and then upgrade after its done?
2. Clone the existing CF card to the replacement card and then do a netinstall?
3. Just do a clean netinstall on the existing card and it may sort out the reboot loops?

Apologies if its been answered before. I did have a look through old threads but did see the specific answers around replacement and cloning etc.
I'm not a network engineer so im not used to dealing with switches and their memory cards etc, but can work my way through it.