VDX 6740T mini-USB console trouble

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
From @fohdeesha's post about the 6740T, I just received one. I don't have a mini-USB console cable so I created one based on @Ouraing's post at https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/diy-mini-usb-serial-dongle.24245/.

While I can see console output I can't type anything. Even ESC won't stop the bootloader.

The table below are my connections based on the DIY guide and specifications from the 6740 setup guide. I also connected ground. I tried swapping UART0_TX/_RX to the keystone's pins 6/3 but I get no output if mini-USB TX is connected to keystone RX (and mini-USB RX is connected to keystone TX).
Mini-USB PinMini-USB SignalMini-USB DescriptionRJ45 Keystone
1+5VNot used
2UART0_TXDebug port (White)Pin 6 (Green); TX
3UART0_RXConsole port (Green)Pin 3 (Green/White); RX
4INNot used
5GNDGroundPin 4 (Blue), 5 (Blue/White); GND

Any ideas?

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
Make sure your console settings are 9600, 8, none, 1, NONE.

If your flow control is set not set to none then you will receive and not be able to send data.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I appreciate your reply!

It turned out that I used a bad mini-USB cable and the TX pin was bad. I used another one and now I can enter text.

Earlier I noticed that the management port retrieved a DHCP address. I was able to login using ssh but I can only login within a small window after the Network OS starts up (around 5 minutes after power up) but it would log me off maybe 3 minutes after that. The reason is if I show version, there is only Slot SW/1 and its status is "STANDBY*". Typically there is SW/0 and SW/1 and one should be "ACTIVE*" while the other "STANDBY". I could show running config but it showed management port with a static IP.

All that is moot as soon as I could login through the console. It appears the STANDBY-only state is ephemeral between the initial bootup and the running config is applied. Through the console, I can see both SW/0 and SW/1 slots. Typical commands work.

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
just wanted to say thanks. I got a VDX and was able to use your pinout to make my own cable and works great.