Value of 0603 SMT Fuse on AOC-2308 (LSI 9207) card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattaw

Jul 30, 2018
So, purchased 6x of the AOC Supermicro cards with SAS2308 SoC's from LSI from ebay $25each:
SuperMicro AOC-S2308L-L8i 8 Ports SAS-600 PCIe 6Gb/s Server Controller Card | eBay

When flashing them to the latest BIOS 20.00.07, I got tired and tried to hotswap one.

Got the flash and pop - card disappeared from the EFI shell. All my fault for late night firmware flashing.

Checked with a multimeter and the PCIe power pins connect to the switching power supply via a bright white 0603 (freedom unit (nested Imperial unit USA joke there)) fuse marked F1, which is now open circuit.

Probing beyond the fuse seems to show it is OK.

What would the fuse value be for a replacement? As is typical it has no markings.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I think the max rating for fuses in 0603 package is 6a, I would just grab one of those or 5a and be done with it if you can never find the original value

mattaw

Jul 30, 2018
So, as I ended up in a hurry I bridged it, checked for no shorts on the power supply and shoved it in a burner PC to test. Worked fine and currently undergoing stress testing.

I agree on the idea though, that is a really good way of thinking of it. I will get some on order and then resolder the card with *something* in case of future failure.

Great cards though, I got an extra 500mb/s out of the iSCSI volume using them over 40gbe. I wonder if it is the extra MSI-X irq's for the SAS2308 vs. the older SAS2008, as the card bandwidths seem more than enough for spinning rust drives.

Reactions: fohdeesha

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
The extra interrupts allow more CPU cores to share the workload. If you're dealing with a fairly deep queue, extra cores will definitely help. Plus if you're dealing with the PCIe 3.0 versions, the more efficient bus helps too.