Using EXOS drives for NVR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LL0rd

Feb 25, 2020
Hi,

in my Main Storage Server at home, currently I have 10 drives with 16TB. These drives are Seagate EXOS X16 Drives and are running in a Raidz2. In my NVR I currently have a WD Purple Drive with 5TB. And in case of an alert, the NVR will also backup to the Main Storage Server.

My current Problem is, that I want to change my Surveillance Strategy. For some cameras, I want to have the full 4-5K Footage, 24/7 for 2 Weeks. The 5TB Drive won't be enough for the Data. That's why I would like to write the data to the Main Storage Server.

Is it a good idea to hit the EXOS Drives with 24/7 Camera Footage. Maybe on another ZFS Dataset?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
exos are datacenter hdds and datacenters usually* consolidate multiple multiple system as vms/containers on one host with 24/7 usage...
I would say they are ready for that workload :D

* like the last 15+ years

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
like @i386 said, exos drives can have that much load.

as for new zfs dataset....you can do that, so you will isolate your camera-data from other data's on the same server.
if your camera-zfs goes wrong, you will still have your another zfs-set safe.

but i have some questions because i am curious.

- how many camera's do you have ?
- which brand and model of camera's ?
- how do you connect them to your storage server ?

LL0rd

Feb 25, 2020
- how many camera's do you have ?
- which brand and model of camera's ?
- how do you connect them to your storage server ?
Currently I have 20 Cameras. Some are Reolink Cameras, RLC-410 and RLC-510A. They are PoE Cameras. Most of the Cameras I'm going to connect directly to my USW-Pro-48-PoE-EU Switch. Other Cameras are HiKam A7 and Q8 Cameras. These are wireless Cameras. The Storage Server is also connected to the switch with 10GbE.

Why do I need so much cameras? Well, for example my cage, where is hold quails is separated into 3 Parts and in each part I have a camera. Same for my Chicken Cage. I would like have an overview of my property in a second. I'd like to know, where my dogs are, and so on.

Reactions: ari2asem