using a Supermicro PWS-563-1H(24 pin) PSU on a 20 pin board(H8DGU)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
i have a Supermicro H8DGU mobo that is 20 pins. i also have a Supermicro PWS-563-1H PSU that is 24 pins. i was told that it would work to power this board by just plugging it in and not using the extra 4 pins. i cant get the green onboard power light also doesnt come on like my other boards(those are using the PWS-563-1H20 PSU with the correct 20 pins).

what tipped me off is im not getting a VGA signal(there is no OS) but the fans spin up and i dont get any beeps. so i pull the battery and jumped the cmos reset but still the same.

just wondering if this PSU pin thing is the issue here?

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
i tried ram in different slots on mobo to see if it was picky in that way but was a not successful. i tried using working 20 pin PSU and ram from another build and that didnt work either. i pulled processor from the CPU2 socket and just tried only the processor in CPU1 socket, still a no go. tried the processor i pulled from the CPU2 socket in the CPU1 socket, and that was a no go as well. pulled all ram and tried to get it to beep at me for that and nothing.

guess its ded.