Using a gaming motherboard for a NAS build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
Another question is if you're wedded to LGA1200. If you're just using the box for storage, Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake-era server hardware likely has enough raw performance for your needs and would let you get niceties like ECC and IPMI. You might get slightly better idle power with Comet or Rocket Lake, but unless you're in a place where power is extremely expensive it'd be hard to make up the difference in price.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Another question is if you're wedded to LGA1200.
@danhendo888 , if you already have a CPU, and maybe other components, on hand from an upgrade or gift, available at a really low price, etc. that's one thing. But if you're going to have to buy all the parts for this build at normal market prices, then @reasonsandreasons has a point and there may be other options/generations/types of hardware you might want to look into...things that are better suited for the NAS role and/or can give you better value for your dollar, Euro, etc.

danhendo888

Feb 28, 2023
I haven't bought any parts yet. Still researching for now.
Will use SSD m.2 or NVME for cache. And 4 x 8GB SATA HDDs for storage.
4 core CPU probably more than enough for my use case
1 x 8GB ram also probably more than enough?
Strongly prefer buying new parts rather than used.

Prices of motherboards with ECC on pcpartpicker (Australia) are very expensive. Seems like overkill for my use case. ECC seems like enterprise grade parts for proper servers. I would only be using my NAS to store videos.

FWIW only I will be using my NAS for storage. No one else is on the network.
Also, I intend to keep it powered down when not in use, which is most of the time (over 20 hours per day I intend to keep it turned off)
When in use, I would be moving files from my desktop PC to the NAS build.

Blue4130

Jan 14, 2023
I haven't bought any parts yet. Still researching for now.

Prices of motherboards with ECC on pcpartpicker (Australia) are very expensive. Seems like overkill for my use case. ECC seems like enterprise grade parts for proper servers. I would only be using my NAS to store videos.

Also, I intend to keep it powered down when not in use, which is most of the time (over 20 hours per day I intend to keep it turned off)
It may be blasphemy here, but if it is only you using it and you will power it down most of the time, why even go with a NAS? Just make or buy a JBOD.

danhendo888

Feb 28, 2023
It may be blasphemy here, but if it is only you using it and you will power it down most of the time, why even go with a NAS? Just make or buy a JBOD.
Regarding the JBOD, I was watching an Art of Server video on how to make one. Unless I'm mistaken, the case/chassis would need it's own motherboard, PSU, fans, SAS expander (to connect to the LSI card on the desktop PC) etc

"Might as well build a NAS instead" was what I was thinking.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Regarding the JBOD, I was watching an Art of Server video on how to make one. Unless I'm mistaken, the case/chassis would need it's own motherboard, PSU, fans, SAS expander (to connect to the LSI card on the desktop PC) etc

Creating a JBOD from a "computer" or components for a computer is a pretty common way. There's other options as well, including using a specialized JBOD board. There's an article about it on the main site: https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-cse-ptjbod-cb1-jbod-power-board-diy-jbod-chassis-made-easy/

Supermicro offers (offered?) a couple different models for this. The most "full featured" one had its own IPMI for remote management and does cost about what you'd pay for a low end motherboard/CPU. I've used the one mentioned in the article and since my chassis had an expander backplane, I didn't need a separate expander card, just the cabling between the backplane and the system I connected it to.

Blue4130

Jan 14, 2023

It doesn't need a motherboard, cpu, ram. That saves a lot of cash. All it needs are PSU, fans, sas expander or backplane, cables and HBA for the workstation/desktop.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
15 years ago I built my first NAS with "gaming" motherboards.
After 5 years with too many issues, especially disks timing out, alot of weird io errors, slow network performance, had to reboot it several times every week. Pain pain and more pain. Instead I went to Ebay and got a Supermicro X8 setup with "shitton" of ECC ram and no more issues.

But, the backup server at my parents is based on old "gaming" hardware. It runs an older Athlon ii triple core with 8GB ECC memory and is still going strong. I had to replace the CPU fan, last month. But its working fine. So in theory it can work. But I would sell my current gaming rig, than reusing it as a NAS/Server. I've been super happy with Supermicro for the last 10 years.

Reactions: i386

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
NAS will only be used for storage (no PLEX, no apps or VMs)

TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS WIFI|Motherboards|ASUS Global

I'd rather pay a bit more and get the ASUS rather than the below (which is the cheapest):

H510M DS2V (rev. 1.0/1.2/1.5) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
Some of the cost difference is because the Asus board has a "mainstream" chipset and more features (better sound, more USB ports, etc.) while the Gigabyte is meant to be an "economy" model. For your purposes though, some of those extra features that add cost (like higher quality sound, extra/faster USB ports, etc.) aren't going to be of use to you. So long as the build quality is acceptable, an economy model will probably work fine for your needs.

haven't bought any parts yet. Still researching for now.
If you're running a cache, SSDs are a place you won't want to skimp. Even with Unraid, there will be a lot of writing on the cache, so make sure you get something with good endurance. For RAM, 8GB will work. Unraid's file system doesn't use RAM in the same way as file systems like ZFS do, so quantity isn't as critical.

Yeah, new ECC capable gear, especially unbuffered ECC itself, is expensive. There's folks here, me included, that make use of used enterprise, hence (hopefully!) durable, gear that uses Registered ECC (RDIMMs), which are relatively inexpensive when used. ECC adds an extra measure of data security, but Unraid is designed for a more consumer less enterprise focus, so you won't have an issue running it on a system without it.

If your system is going to be off/idle for a lot of time, Unraid paired with SATA storage is actually a really good choice. Its supports drive spindown gracefully and you can even suspend/sleep with a little configuration (with a lot of hardware at least). LGA1200 systems draw almost no power when suspended. So, assuming your hardware combination supports it, you could set your NAS to auto-suspend after a period of inactivity and then wake when needed.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
If you don't care about being able to turn the thing on/off using the power button (or remotely, for that matter), you can just short the power on pin to ground and eliminate the need for a board entirely.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Would it be easier to buy this HP server, add an LSI card, add HDDs?
While its probably a bit subjective, I think that enterprise/business gear is often a bit more reliable than consumer products. So, its possible that used enterprise gear can actually be a better bet for reliability than new consumer.

That said, a Gen 6 ML110 is probably 10-12 years old. At that age, I think even enterprise equipment may be a questionable choice where reliability is concerned.

Product availability in your location is going to impact your choices. Living in California, I've got a lot of choices, but that's not the same for everyone. If you do decide a consumer motherboard is the easiest, most affordable choice, your choice of Unraid is a good one. Unraid's focus isn't 24/7 Enterprise operation. It's focus is pretty much what you want.

Last edited:

danhendo888

Feb 28, 2023
Product availability in your location is going to impact your choices. Living in California, I've got a lot of choices, but that's not the same for everyone. If you do decide a consumer motherboard is the easiest, most affordable choice, your choice of Unraid is a good one. Unraid's focus isn't 24/7 Enterprise operation. It's focus is pretty much what you want.
Well noted. I think I'll stick to building my own NAS. Something similar to below type builds:

reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/a3cl22/datahoarding_from_korea_my_first_diy_nas_build/
reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/liabxa/i_also_have_a_750d_nas_build_feel_free_to_ask/
reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/11adt8k/my_72tb_unraid_nas_build/