Using a breakout cable with ConnectX-3 MCX354A

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rahulkadukar

Jun 9, 2020
Can I use the cable linked below to connect my NIC to my router (Mikrotik CRS 326). The router only supports 10G so I will use only one of the SFP+ cables. Will this configuration work

OR

Should I get a QSFP+ to SFP+ module and then use SFP cable

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Connecting the denser end of breakout cables won't work on older cards like the CX3. Use a QSFP+ to SFP+ converter.

creidhne

Apr 11, 2020
Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
No, 4:1 breakout will not work in NICs (except some fairly new HP cards which are special), only in switches.

The QSFP->SFP adapter will work fine.
Have not used it with transceivers, only DACs so can't comment on compatibility.

Reactions: creidhne

kagurazakakotori

Mar 5, 2017
No, breakout cable is not supported on NICs, they only work on switches. Consider buying a QSFP to SFP adapter instead.

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
No, 4:1 breakout will not work in NICs (except some fairly new HP cards which are special), only in switches.

The QSFP->SFP adapter will work fine.
Have not used it with transceivers, only DACs so can't comment on compatibility.

I have it with transceivers, it takes anything, FS, Broadcom, HP, Avago, anything I put int works.

Reactions: creidhne

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
breakout cable is not supported on NICs, they only work on switches
40Gb/s to 4x10Gb/s mode is not supported by NICs. But 40Gb to 1x10Gb/s works just fine. This is exactly what the adapter does:
The RF (high speed data) channel of the SFP receptacle is connected to lane 1 of the QSFP+ connector. The
three remaining RF channels on the QSFP+ connector are not connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: kagurazakakotori

deified

Jun 11, 2020
Can confirm [MCX354A-FCBT QSFP port1] --> [ MCP7F00-A01A (QSFP28 to SFP28)breakout cable] --> [Brocade ICX 10gb SFP+ port 1/3/1] this configuration does work. You get 1 of the 4 breakouts that will light up and connect. MAM1Q00A-QSA adapter is about 25 bucks and so is the breakout cable. Not sure if this will work for your specific hardware. But breakout cables do indeed work NIC(QSFP) to switch(sfp+)

chicken-of-the-cave

Mar 13, 2020
Mellanox's, regrettably, do not support breaking cables (there is a possibility that using a QSFP->SFP+ breakout cable on a Mellanox may work with one 10G lane, meaning one SFP+ cable would work, usually the first cable, but not all four).

That being said, certain Intel NICs do support breakout cables (specifically: X520-QDA1, XL710-QDA1, XL710-QDA2). Below is the links for the XL710 NICs (not sure what the procedure is X520) to change the QSFP configuration.

Reactions: walafay