user manual of silicom uCPE Modular Universal CPE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
I have a uCPE Modular Universal CPE ,but without user manual and document , write to silicom tech support, but still no more infomations,so ask here. anyone have it or silimar product and can share it's user manual ?
it good for nas or pfense ,or litte all in one
Universal CPE Based on Intel® Atom™ C3000

Last edited:

SebastianMWS

May 7, 2011
Greetings 'Freebsd1976',

been considering this AT&T relabeled Silicom uCPE myself, for DIY home based IPS/IDS appliance (standalone Security Onion or Ubuntu server with Suricata). Did you manage to acquire the User Manual, or have you given up eventually ?

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
Greetings 'Freebsd1976',

been considering this AT&T relabeled Silicom uCPE myself, for DIY home based IPS/IDS appliance (standalone Security Onion or Ubuntu server with Suricata). Did you manage to acquire the User Manual, or have you given up eventually ?

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Still no manual, but managed to install exsi and Debian and windows .
now device saled.

SebastianMWS

May 7, 2011
Good to hear about your success ... were you accessing BIOS for the purpose of those installs ? Any BIOS passwords getting in the way ?

SebastianMWS

May 7, 2011
Having the means to alter boot order is all I need ... I reckon I can choose bootable USB stick as boot device, surely now Coreboot allows that, right ?

Speaking of which - what's the payload chosen for the BIOS setup (Payloads - coreboot) ?

SebastianMWS

May 7, 2011
... just one more question, if I may, then I'll leave you be ... would you happen to know what are the correct settings for the serial console, for accessing device over RJ45 Console Port (example: 115200 8N1) ?

SebastianMWS

May 7, 2011
Sorry 'Freebsd1976', I know I said I'll leave you be, but then I came across a document that may completely rule out this ATT-V150 for my purposes.

An Open Compute Project (OCP) document, titled "AT&T uCPE Specification", clearly shows a physical PCIe x8 straddle mount extension slot on the front right ...

ATT-V150-PCIe-expansion.jpg

... although Silicom does not even mention it on their "uCPE Modular Universal CPE" product web page. Looking at yet another document - titled "Network Disaggregation at the Edge_Open SD-Edge Platform" (powerpoint from ipinfusion webinar), where ATT-V150 is referred to as "uCPE Modular - Extra Small CPE", there is an indication that the straddle mount PCIe (x4 el, x8 phy.), may not be present in the ATT-V150 version of appliance (Remark on block diagram: "NOT USED")...

Silicom Extra Small CPE_Pg.2.jpg

By the way - that OCP presentation document even implies, that a referenced straddle mount PCIe could be used for storage cards, such as SAS/SATA HBA controllers.

So ... is that PCIe x4 (x8) straddle mount standard expansion connector present on the ATT-V150's board or not ? I'd really appreciate your input on this one ...

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
I saw two version :
1 has 3 extension slots (maybe not standard pcie ) .
2 no extension slot (IA3001)
i don't know ATT-V150

SebastianMWS

May 7, 2011
Many thanks, I figure it all out in the meantime, thanks to eBay seller who obliged my request and popped the lid of the chassis ...

ATT-V150_board_missing_PCIe_x4.jpg

... no brainer really, now that I can see what's really under the hood; the so called straddle-mount PCIe connector that was referred to in ipinfusion's powerpoint as "NOT USED" ("Network Disaggregation at the Edge_Open SD-Edge Platform"), is the one that was implemented in the intitial OCP design (OCP AT&T uCPE Specification - 2018), but was consequently eliminated on the actual system board in Silicom ATT-V150 appliance, ready for deployment.

ATT-V150_Standard_PCIe_x4.png

As for those three PCIe x8 straddle-mounts (edge) PCIe connectors - the left most is reserved for I/O Modules, while the two on the right - one populated and one vacant - they are all reserved for networking modules only (as the silkscreen text above connectors suggest).

There's also no M.2 SSD installed, so I reckon that 64GB eMMC from the Silicom's spec sheets must be an onboard silicon, same as default 8GB memory. So for the moment it looked pretty hopeless to me, but then I searched the web and found a perfectly plausible solution - M.2 to 4-port SATA add-on board, which could be used for hooking four 2.5" HDDs, as intended. Most of those are Marvell 88SE9230 based (SW RAID stack), which is not necessarily a good thing for a stable running Linux server/appliance (lots of problems reported on forums), but it's non-RAID cousin - Marvell 88SE9235 - looks promising (IOCrest IO-M2F9235-4I, M.2-SATA controller card... a bit difficult to source). Second option, even better one, would be to use ADT-Link PCIe x4 to M.2 NVMe adapter (R42SF), to connect the standard PCIe x4 SAS/SATA HBA, such as LSI 9211-4i (IBM Lenovo 81Y4494).

All is good now, but there was some effort required, no doubt ...

Attachments

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
, while the two on the right - one populated and one vacant - they are all reserved for networking modules only (as the silkscreen text above connectors suggest).
not exactly, one version the slot is for two nvme slot .
o I reckon that 64GB eMMC from the Silicom's spec sheets must be an onboard silicon, same as default 8GB memory
yes, emmc and memory, btw when use install new memory module (bot ecc/no ecc support ,8-16gb is ok, but 32gb is no go), when boot first time , wait 2-3 minutes for memory tarining,just wait .....
M.2 to 4-port SATA add-on board,
or minpcie to sata?
btw the m.2 slot is sata not nvme.

SebastianMWS

May 7, 2011
Thanks for the input,

to comment briefly ...

Yep, that M.2 connector really is for SATA (among other things), got a proof - close up of system board, form that eBay seller. It's not the only component that moved elsewhere, from the concept board/prototype to production board. The M.2 SATA options is still there (above the front facing edge connectors), though only for full-length (22 mm x 110 mm Form Factor) M.2 SSDs.

I may have jumped some conclusions, about what type of modules can be attached to those two front facing PCIe x8 edge connectors. So the reference to "storage", as one of the possible module types, was actually valid in the OCP document. Given how those connectors are marked on the board (NETWORK MODULE 0, NETWORK MODULE 1), who could blame me.

Nevertheless, I'm absolutely sure that a regular PCI Express SAS/SATA HBA or RAID controller card cannot be attached to any of those two edge connectors. Once upon a time, a physical PCI Express connector were designated for standard PCIe cards (video, storage controllers, networrk cards, you name it ...), but nowadays they are used for all kinds of add-on modules and daughter cards (for being cheap and abundant), with proprietary wiring, of course.

Funnily enough, your board is equipped with that elusive "EXPANSION PCIE X4" (as it's a different Silicom uCPE model), while the board in ATT-V150 isn't (same goes for dual onboard 7-pin SATA connectors). That's the one PCIe x4 that I thought I would use, to connect the SAS/SATA HBA card, - with a little help of flex ribbon PCIe cable and some standoffs for the controller card (sans ATX bracket).

ATT-V150_board_05b.jpg

Come to think of - I examined closely the ATT-V150 board and the pre-production board of Silicom uCPE Extra Small, nothing seems to be missing, except the physical edge connector (all semiconductors and discrete elements are in place, albeit a bit shuffled around the board). Might as well purchase a straddle mount PCIe x4 and solder it onto board - the worst that can happen, is that it won't work.

SebastianMWS

May 7, 2011
Hello 'Freebsd1976',

as it turns out, some new question marks popped out, while doing my own research on this illusive Silicom appliance;

As I foresee to transplant the Silicom ATT-V150 boards, from it's original crammed chassis into something a lot more roomy (2U rackmount chassis, with 2x 80mm PWM exhaust fans and an air duct), I suddenly realized I have aboslutely no idea whether I'll be able to control the behaviour of those fans (silent vs. moderate vs. performance mode, for example), as it's customary on Supermicro boards by the means of IMPI Tools software. Are there any settings in BIOS (Coreboot), designated for fan speed / mode management ?

Thanks in advance !

Kind regards,
Bostjan