Used GPU recommendations for R730 AI build.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
I'm looking to build a dedicated AI machine based off of a R730. I'd like to pick up some used GPU's for internal processing only. I'd like to throw in as many as it'll hold and power.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what might work without spending a pile of money? I currently have a GTX 970 in it but curious if some older Quadro's would be any good or not.

slidermike

May 7, 2023
I am not an expert but its best to specifically research the accelerators they recomend for a given AI.
That said, a decent, low cost, low power option to look into is the tesla p4.

kromberg

Jan 18, 2021
'AI' is a huge blank term WAAAAY over used. What are you trying to do? Are you using a 3rd party product or are you wiring you own application?

slidermike

May 7, 2023
'AI' is a huge blank term WAAAAY over used. What are you trying to do? Are you using a 3rd party product or are you wiring you own application?
That is what I was trying to say. Focus on your specific use case. Read whatever documents are available for that AI application. example, I use CodeProject AI in my Blue Iris surveillance so I look for acceleration around that specific AI.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
I apologize and honestly, I had no idea of what I was building either.

I ended up building a Stable Diffusion instance with a ComfyUI front end. It's running as a VM on my R720 Proxmox machine.

In respect to the GPU, after some trials I settled on a new RTX 3060 12Gb. It's low power, suitable form factor for the R720, with a decent amount of VRAM which I found out is very important and cheap. Cheap enough to not warrant a used Quadro IMO. I have given it to the instance via passthrough. It's working perfect.

After all this messing about, I realized the most appropriate question to ask should have been, "what modern, high VRAM GPU will actually fit in a r720, r730?" It wasn't easy finding one that fits as they're all huge nowadays. I had issues with the 2nd riser card bracket tab support, the air shroud, the post holding the top cover switch.

Anyways, ya, my initial post was hopeless.