USB peripheral "networking" (sharing switch / matrix) for VMs - ideally IP controlled

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

petreza

Dec 28, 2017
--- needs to be at least USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1) speeds ---
If I passthrough individual USB controllers to a bunch of VMs, how can I easily switch USB devices from VM to VM on the fly?
(hardware only - not interested in solutions where I have to install software/drivers on each guest VM a la AnywhereUSB)

I know there are devices such as Aten US434 4 x 4 USB 3.1 Gen1 Peripheral Sharing Switch but:
--- it is not really a 4x4 - meaning it is not a matrix - it is just a 4 input hub that you can switch between 4 outputs
--- it is controlled by a single push-button - need something more sophisticated than that

I guess I can make a matrix out of a bunch of devices like the Aten above by connecting outputs of some of the devices to the inputs of the others in a mesh topology, but this is wasteful and is controlled by a bunch of push-buttons :)

Do you know of any USB 3.0+, matrix type of switches that are easily controlled?
Thanks!

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Once you get past USB2, it seems difficult to find decently priced switches. I ran into this when I got a new keyboard, to find that it's USB3 only, it simply won't enumerate on USB2. So my KVM switch no longer works with it. Switches for high resolution were expensive enough, but add USB3 and there are only a few really expensive options.

I ended up with a 2 port from Amazon for $20. Not ideal, pushbuttons etc, but good enough. Along with DDC/CI for monitor switching it works reasonably well. I only have 2 to control though, more than that would be beyond irritating. I run that into a powered hub that gets switched between the VM and host.