USB Passthrough RocketU 1142A, ESXi 5.5 u2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZeroOne

Sep 13, 2013
I have this card, with 2 external rear USB 3 ports and an internal header for 2 front panel USB 3 ports. Was hoping to use it for some plain ole' USB ports on a VM. Didn't seem that complicated, at all really. Especially with the LSI cards providing a ton of SATA hot swap ports. Seemed like this should add on easily, like any other HBA but this being USB instead of SATA/SAS.

The hope was to have simple USB connectivity for iOS devices to sync to this media server, and USB storage. Wi-Fi sync works fine for iOS, after you connect once via USB.

Also, it is not possible to format / redo the OS on an iOS device using the standard USB-device connectivity in vSphere. During the process of reformatting iOS devices, the device must reboot and the VM loses connection. When the device powers back on, it does not reconnect to the VM again. VM must be rebooted. Already bricked a phone and ipad doing this. Ended up using another machine to complete the process and wipe the device out in recovery mode. My VM in question has 2 LSI cards passed through, so maybe this is the reason?

Main problem is, since installing this HighPoint card and setting up passthrough, I've had a PSOD under various conditions mostly relating to the booting of a VM that has this card passed through to it. System specs are:

Asus P9D-E/4L
Intel E3-1245v3
Kingston 32GB ECC DDR3 1600
LSI 9300-8i
LSI 9300-8i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
WD7500BPKX
Misc WD and Samsung drives on LSI controllers

The VM will boot fine when the host boots (auto start of the 3 vms, Windows last). When the host comes up, it fires up a cyberpower VM for USB connectivity and control of electrical events. vSphere mobile, for iPad access to the host, and then this Windows 8.1 VM with 2 LSI controllers and the HighPoint. If you shut each down gracefully, leaving the host up, then boot the Windows VM, the "power on" takes too long, stalling at like 30% and then PSOD in 15-30 seconds. That method is the most reproducible. PSOD every time.