USB DOM vs regular USB flash drive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I'm building a server in a very small form factor with a mini-ITX board. For the boot device and operating system I plan on using a USB flash device.

Due to the well known problems of consumer USB flash drives wearing out quickly when used in such a way, I ordered this USB DOM after recommendation that it would be better than a regular flash drive: New Kingspec SSD eUSB DOM 32GB 9PINs Industrial Embedded USB Disk on Module | eBay .

At the time I hadn't thought too much about the different types on NAND flash memory (SLC vs MLC) or wear levelling. I'm getting a better idea now. An "industrial grade" SLC USB DOM is completely inappropriate (overkill) for this server.

Firstly, aside from the connector difference between DOM and flash drive (eUSB vs USB-A, which is another story altogether), how much better or more resilient can I expect that USB DOM above to be, compared to, say, a Samsung Flash Drive Fit? Both use MLC flash, for example.

Also, because of the original problem, one option I'm also considering is running booting from a Samsung Fit, but installing an identical one in another port and mirroring. That way, if the main boot drive dies, at least I've got a fallback. What do you all think?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If you have free data ports a 32gb SATA dom is not that expensive at all, see then for sale used , somebody had a heap for sale in the last week here but I can’t find the thread now.
Mirrored USB also works but s few good quality USB is probably not cheaper than the sata dom.

Of course if you can’t spare the the sata port then usb may make more sense

Reactions: ullbeking

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
If you have free data ports a 32gb SATA dom is not that expensive at all, see then for sale used , somebody had a heap for sale in the last week here but I can’t find the thread now.
Now that I come to think of it, I have other boards where SATA DOM might be perfect, and I'll keep that in mind.

But the specific boards I had in mind when I originally made this post do not have spare SATA ports.

Mirrored USB also works but s few good quality USB is probably not cheaper than the sata dom.
What are some examples of USB flash drives that you would classify as "good quality"?

Of course if you can’t spare the the sata port then usb may make more sense
Right. In certain instances I simply cannot spare it.

Found one thread with them for sale

FS: Supermicro SC216BE16 2U 24 bay chassis, SATA DOM, 256GB DDR4 ECC, PWS-920P-SQ, 12Gbit SAS SSDs
@Evan, you are my hero. That thread is a gold mine. Thanks for finding the link.