US - STH Perpetual Freebies Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nquinn

Jan 1, 2022
Anyone have some older DDR4 sodimm ram they don't need? Just trying to bump up RAM a bit in a small NAS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Hazily2019

Jan 10, 2023
4x SAMSUNG 16GB SERVER RAM DDR3 RECC 12800R 2RX4 M393B2G70DB0-YK0 - Free (just provide your own shipping label) claimed by @lopgok

1708009408007.jpeg

3x Micron MT72JSZS2G72PZ-1G1M1HE 16GB 4RX4 PC3-8500R-7-11-AB1 Server RAM - Free (just provide your own shipping label)

1708009496135.jpeg

2x SK Hynix 8GB (1X8GB) RAM PC4-17000 DDR4-2133P SDRAM HMA41GR7AFR4N-TF - Free (just provide your own shipping label)

1708009307083.jpeg

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Tell me about it, I'm literally picking up random "free old computers" some of which actually good hardware. Then try to rebuild/repurpose and donate
If MadMax or apocalypse comes, I think STH guys would last pretty long given our "junkyard engineering" prowess
Good on you to do this. Every machine that keeps doing something is one more that stays out of the landfill. :)

And it's amazing what some of the oldest stuff is still good for--NAS builds, training, kiosks, and more. Hell, an old ipad1 will make a better alarm clock than a $20 alarm clock, lol.

Reactions: chinesestunna

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
At the risk of being dumb, can these be used in non-hp systems?
More than likely yes as they'll be industry standard parts. HP doesn't make their own NICs so I don't think their DACs would be branded either.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Good on you to do this. Every machine that keeps doing something is one more that stays out of the landfill. :)

And it's amazing what some of the oldest stuff is still good for--NAS builds, training, kiosks, and more. Hell, an old ipad1 will make a better alarm clock than a $20 alarm clock, lol.
Totally, the main drawback is power usage, unreal how much performance/watt has scaled last 4 years, thank you competition!

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Totally, the main drawback is power usage, unreal how much performance/watt has scaled last 4 years, thank you competition!
Yep, but as long as that battery in the ipad isn't completely dead, no need to reset the clock after the power goes out, haha. I can't believe that appliances still lose their time--an ultracapacitor isn't that expensive anymore.

I'm lucky in that power is included at the office I rent and is otherwise quite cheap at another site. I don't leave stuff powered on 24x7 either so that helps too. Besides, when stuff is free, it's zero capex, so opex can be a bit more. :D

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
I will jump in the freebie thread...
You cover shipping...

Molex 73929-0024 112-00084 SFP to SFP Small pluggable Interconnect cable 50cm

2x HP 10GBE SFP+ 5M DAC 537965-001 1109 HP REV A 2074260-6 PROLIANT X86 CABLE

cn-0w390d-74210-36b-00ne
Foxconn Dell 0W390D 2m External SAS Cable

406592-002 - HP 4m External Mini SAS Cable

sgi x-fsw-cop-3m
FC copper cable, high-speed style-2 balanced cable connector at each end

Sent to @Kelvarr - thx...
and gone to @Kelvarr

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
Clearing up some items I just found in my storage (had no idea i still had these):

R2208GZ4GC 2U barebones server (Gone)

HP DL380P G8 (Gone)

Unifi US-24 Switch. (Gone)

HP 2810-48G and -24G switches. (Gone)

Cisco Meraki MS120-8LP. I may need to remove this from my account I forget how that works but I can work on that. I have to try to find the power supply for this.

Asus ITX-220 motherboards (2) these have an embedded CPU and VERY low powered but I figured someone may have a use for them. Brand new in box since I never got around to doing anything with them.

I have ZERO inclination (nor the time) to ship. Local pickup in Sacramento (I may be willing to meet someone close by half way). Please only if you really are interested and willing to come get them. I have a number of boxes still to go through so I'll post anything else as I find them. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow as I can.

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Clearing up some items I just found in my storage (had no idea i still had these):

R2208GZ4GC 2U barebones server with Intel S2600G(Z/L) motherboard. Early version of this doesn't have hard drive bays at all but there is space if you can remove the cooling. Can handle E5-2600 (not sure on V2 since it did not work with the V2 CPUs I tested the DL380 with), dual with water cooling (that's how it came). Has the risers and two PSUs that's about it. This was my first enterprise server and I used it for years until I upgraded. It's been in a closet for years and it worked the last time i tried it. I don't have the hardware to test it.

HP DL380P G8 Barebones. I borrowed a CPU/RAM from a friend and tested this. I was able to install TrueNAS Scale on a usb (still in the server). It has room for 8 SFF drives.This thing is typically enterprise loud. I never did get around to doing a fan mod so that's on you.

Unifi US-24 Switch. NO POE. This has been in storage for over a year, I had no issues with it, it powered up fine. I may need to remove from my controller??

HP 2810-48G and -24G switches. (J9022A and J9021A) NO POE. Great condition. I thought I had gotten rid of all of these but found these last two.

Cisco Meraki MS120-8LP. I may need to remove this from my account I forget how that works but I can work on that. I have to try to find the power supply for this.

Asus ITX-220 motherboards (2) these have an embedded CPU and VERY low powered but I figured someone may have a use for them. Brand new in box since I never got around to doing anything with them.

I have ZERO inclination (nor the time) to ship. Local pickup in Sacramento (I may be willing to meet someone close by half way). Please only if you really are interested and willing to come get them. I have a number of boxes still to go through so I'll post anything else as I find them. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow as I can.
Do you ever get down to SFO or the Peninsula? Would be interested in quite a few things like the servers, Asus, and the switches.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
I do travel down that way on occasion, I was going to pick up a server down by San Jose this weekend but they accidentally shipped it to me for free. I'll check to see if I have any reason to head down there. PM me your location and maybe I can meet halfway, the wife is on me to make room.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I do travel down that way on occasion, I was going to pick up a server down by San Jose this weekend but they accidentally shipped it to me for free. I'll check to see if I have any reason to head down there. PM me your location and maybe I can meet halfway, the wife is on me to make room.
That's a nice 'oops'. :) yhpm. :)

j4cbo

Feb 20, 2024
A little cleanup:
- 4GB DDR4 SODIMM, Lenovo 01AG829
- USB 3 A to SATA cable, looks like a Startech USB3S2SAT3CB but might be a different manufacturer
- USB A splitter cable - not a hub, one of the downstream ports has data and the other is power-only
- Lenovo VGA riser and bracket for m720q/m920q series, part# 01AG935
- Lots of USB A to mini- and micro-B cables

All claimed!

Last edited: