US MELLANOX SX6036 - $200

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

P0rt4lN3T

Nov 10, 2023
don't support/engage these people.
You can generate the required key(s) (depending on what features you want) pretty easily yourself with a vm running a linux distro with ltrace and files extracted from a mlnx-os x86 firmware file.
Hi

hmmmm :confused: well i know this is an outdated switch and NVIDIA does not support it or sells licenses anymore..so i was just wondering if i could enable all 36 ports to work in L2/L3 with Ethernet mode.. and also VLANS, MPLS, OSPF if licenses do exist for it.. not even sure what kind of licenses were available in the Past for this type of devices.. I

I do understand that people paid for licenses in the past, when the switch was supported with new updates and new features, and patch updates back in the days.. which is pretty common sense, so pay for it..

but i do think that once the company decided to stop future update support for the device and no more licenses were to be sold out.. it woul be pretty reasonable for the manufacturer to release at least a last firmware with all features unlocked. with the information that no future updates or fixes were to be offered on the device..

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
The large older threads on these in this forum the info on how to "resolve the licensing issue" to get them working as ethernet switches (the sx6036g model that pops up cheap now and then has the license already enabled).
There is enough that you can read up and do it but its not fully step1, step2, step3 guides as that would be against the rules.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I do understand that people paid for licenses in the past, when the switch was supported with new updates and new features, and patch updates back in the days.. which is pretty common sense, so pay for it..
yeah, but on ebay you will pay somebody who (probably) doesn't has a switch at all and sells you a "cracked" key.
but i do think that once the company decided to stop future update support for the device and no more licenses were to be sold out.. it woul be pretty reasonable for the manufacturer to release at least a last firmware with all features unlocked. with the information that no future updates or fixes were to be offered on the device..
that's why you should generate the key yourself :D

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
and i am still installing my Brocade 7250!!!!! and now I see this!!!! HAH...
well looks like i have a future upgrade path as I now have all of my machines on 10gb.
Next year I guess the 40gb bug will kick in and I will just add this switch to my home lab then!
{subscribed} !

unphased

Jun 9, 2022
Yeah took me a few hours, bordering on days of research spread across a few months but I began to realize Mellanox (now nvidia) 40G switching is the sweet spot. just like connectx-3 (and now/soon connectx-4) are the sweet spot for NICs. Windows and Linux capabilities seem solid, and It's been really helped a lot when I discovered recent macOS have built-in mlx5 kernel drivers, since mlx5 is cx4 and up, we do need cx4 for macOS, but it Just Works, off a thunderbolt egpu style enclosure. I have some quirkiness where sometimes the mac to switch link doesnt come up until I do a transceiver reseat at the switch, but there are a lot of variables for me to fiddle with before I get to the bottom of that.

Jumping from 1GbE to 40GbE (25 effective due to typical usage of x4 pcie slots via m.2 adapters and such) for cheap has been pretty spectacular. In terms of capabilities, it singlehandedly extends almost full NVMe storage performance to a whole network (although can't quite touch gen 4 or gen 5 nvme speeds). I also think if your network isnt physically large, the latency is also so good that you could have distributed apps that somehow leverage the DRAM on networked machines, in workloads where you don't need the performance so much but can benefit from reducing wear on SSD endurance.

Anyway, the next hop would be to 100GbE as datacenters move off of that, which, currently and for the foreseeable future, is actually limited to the same 25Gbit or so due to getting stuck on gen 3 signaling over 4 PCIe lanes, got to wait for CX5 prices to drop since that's how you get pcie gen 4 to reach 50/60Gbits or so out of 4 pcie lanes.

I think a sx6036 40Gbit switch *should* potentially be backward compatible with newer stuff since QSFP28 is backwards compatible with QSFP+, so long term i may be able to keep using it to max out 40Gbit bandwidth when running 100G hardware, no idea. Likely 100Gbit switch is on the table though if going through the trouble to reach 100G on the nic side.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
The cisco 40gbe cards are pretty decent with them also.
Im on cisco hosts now since their 20-30$ish cards are esxi8 supported and also supports 4x10 splitting from nic.

So can use one port at 40gbe and split other as 4x10gbe on both ends with just a standard qsfp.

• Wow
Reactions: TeleFragger

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
man.. when i was looking at getting my connectx-1 and connectx-2 10gb upgraded away from cx4 ports... I started looking at 40gb, 100gb and had to real myself back saying.. my fios internet router says 10gbe and decided to just go 10gb... now kickin myself... BUT!!! good news.. yall got me already knowing next year upgrade. I am cleaning up my telco rack, systems, nightmare that i have created...