UPS question?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xexe

Sep 30, 2013
I hope someone can help.
Looking to get 10-15kVA online ups with 3 phases.
The question is, what will be if on one of the phases there will be no incoming electricity?
Will UPS go on batteries and goes offline after depleted batteries?
Will UPS go to batteries and the to bypass?
Will UPS use electricity from 2 other phases?

One more question, are there UPS that align the consumption? For example phase1 12A, phase2 30A, phase3 12A , will UPS consume same for "outlet" or will do 18A from each phase?

Asked many sellers/representatives, no one could give clear answer, maybe anyone can help?

P.S. Sorry for bad English, not that fluent with professional English.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
With all three phase equipment I've encountered losing a phase is bad news, typically you want a phase monitor to prevent the powered equipment (motors, transformers) from running single phased.

I would check the user's manual of the model that interests you to see how it behaves, but I would imagine most three phase UPSs are going to switch to battery anytime one or more phases leaves a certain voltage range.

Edit: as to phase balancing this article looks like it covers some basic considerations: How to balance three-phase power to maximize UPS capacity

Last edited: