Upgrading Windows Home Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
Thanks guys, I see your point. I guess the reasons I was focusing on Essentials are several, at the top of the list:
  1. Ease of use for a novice (for example: Essentials Dashboard).
  2. Client Computer Backups and File History.
  3. Home Media Server (Windows Server Essentials Media Pack, Plex, XBMC, etc.).
  4. Ability to connect a client computer to the server via domain controller, OR NOT.
However, it looks like Standard Edition can do all of these too, is that right? It looks like the Dashboard can be enabled/installed, Windows Server Essentials Media Pack can be installed, Plex can be installed, and I'm assuming Client Computer Backups and File History are there? Is there anything Standard can't do that Essentials can?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Thanks guys, I see your point. I guess the reasons I was focusing on Essentials are several, at the top of the list:
  1. Ease of use for a novice (for example: Essentials Dashboard).
  2. Client Computer Backups and File History.
  3. Home Media Server (Windows Server Essentials Media Pack, Plex, XBMC, etc.).
  4. Ability to connect a client computer to the server via domain controller, OR NOT.
However, it looks like Standard Edition can do all of these too, is that right? It looks like the Dashboard can be enabled/installed, Windows Server Essentials Media Pack can be installed, Plex can be installed, and I'm assuming Client Computer Backups and File History are there? Is there anything Standard can't do that Essentials can?
Other than a cal licensing difference that's not relevant to your use case? No. Datacentre has some extra features but you shouldn't need any of those

MikeChristie

Jul 27, 2016
Anybody know of a PSU that has it all?

1000+ Watt
80 PLUS Titanium
Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) Fan
Japanese Capacitors
10+ Year Warranty
Fully Modular
Digitally Controlled/Monitoring

It looks like the Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX comes closest, but only a 7 year warranty. The EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 also comes close, but doesn't have an FDB Fan and is not digital.

1000W?!?! You'd power four of those servers and have room to spare on 1000W. Also, is a 10 year warranty on something that costs £100 really all that necessary?

Another thing to consider is that on a system that's probably not going to be drawing much more than 100W (more if you get up to 20 Hdds admittedly) the 2 or 3% in efficiency between a 80plus gold PSU and an 80 Plus Titanium is wasted if you're running a PSU that's way over-specced. Bear in mind that a 1000W 80 Plus Titanium PSU that's only under 10% load is less efficient than a 250W 80 Plus Gold PSU running at 50% load.

Even fully loaded with drives, I can't see that system using more than 250 - 300W tops. I'd look for a good 500W-600W PSU. Silverstone Strider 600W Titanium, or Seasonic Platinum 660 might be worth considering if you want fully modular.

Larson

Nov 10, 2015
1000W?!?! You'd power four of those servers and have room to spare on 1000W. Also, is a 10 year warranty on something that costs £100 really all that necessary?

Another thing to consider is that on a system that's probably not going to be drawing much more than 100W (more if you get up to 20 Hdds admittedly) the 2 or 3% in efficiency between a 80plus gold PSU and an 80 Plus Titanium is wasted if you're running a PSU that's way over-specced. Bear in mind that a 1000W 80 Plus Titanium PSU that's only under 10% load is less efficient than a 250W 80 Plus Gold PSU running at 50% load.

Even fully loaded with drives, I can't see that system using more than 250 - 300W tops. I'd look for a good 500W-600W PSU. Silverstone Strider 600W Titanium, or Seasonic Platinum 660 might be worth considering if you want fully modular.

Thanks for your input Mike! I'm not as concerned about 1000W as I am the quality of parts, and I use the warranty to help gauge the quality of the parts, not really planning on ever actually using it. It seems I have to go for the high wattage in order to get the parts I want: 80 PLUS Titanium, Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) Fan, Japanese Capacitors, Fully Modular, Digitally Controlled/Monitoring.

But you make a good point when it comes to the affect of load on efficiency; thanks!