Upgrading the boot device on home server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I have a small home server running ESXi 6.7 that has been installed on a flash drive since the beginning. While it gets the job done, it's painfully slow whenever it's to be updated (not very often, but still...), and I have recently started questioning the reliability of this thing.
I have 128GB Samsung SM961 SSD laying around collecting dust, so I thought I could use that instead. Would you say it's ok to use this?
I also found Kingston DC1000B in my notes about possible hardware upgrades, but it's fairly expensive for single purpose drive that barely does any significant reads/writes. If I remember correctly, it has some sort of power loss protection, but maybe I don't need that at all, considering the server is sitting on a large rackmount UPS?
What do you think?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I use satadoms as boot devices for my servers because I don't want to waste any valuable hdd/ssd slots and my next server(s) will use m.2 ssds as boot devices

For a esxi boot device you don't need powerloss protection and could use any ssd you want.

Reactions: Octopuss