Upgrading NAS to Xeon, thoughts?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Solkku

Jul 31, 2015
Oops, my bad! The scenario described above is "NFS", isn't it? I must've mixed the two.

So iSCSI just gives you a chunk of HDD space that you then partition into vmdk disks for other VMs in ESXi?

Solkku

Jul 31, 2015
The spinners have now been transferred to the new server and it has now replaced the old N54L on top of the wardrobe. :)

"Fits like a glove!" :D

new-server-deployed.jpg

canta

Nov 26, 2014
The spinners have now been transferred to the new server and it has now replaced the old N54L on top of the wardrobe. :)

"Fits like a glove!" :D

View attachment 958
what are you going to do woth n54l?
I have one that has been unused for 8 months with broken VGA connector ( my son tipped over the vga cable and vga connector got pulled out)

Solkku

Jul 31, 2015
what are you going to do woth n54l?
I have one that has been unused for 8 months with broken VGA connector ( my son tipped over the vga cable and vga connector got pulled out)
So sorry to hear about the misfortune of your N54L. Couldn't you add a temporary low profile graphics card so you get it up and running and OS installed? If I remember correctly there's a PCIe slot inside...

I'll probably sell the N54L to my friend, as he has shown some interest towards it. But he's not so keen on CLI stuff, so I'll probably help him install XPenology on it and show him the ropes a bit. :D

canta

Nov 26, 2014
So sorry to hear about the misfortune of your N54L. Couldn't you add a temporary low profile graphics card so you get it up and running and OS installed? If I remember correctly there's a PCIe slot inside...

I'll probably sell the N54L to my friend, as he has shown some interest towards it. But he's not so keen on CLI stuff, so I'll probably help him install XPenology on it and show him the ropes a bit. :D
possible to install low profile fanless video card :D. I have to think, if is good to keep N54L or not.
or... buy HP remote management card.

the other thinking is replace my oldie L5420 backup servers that has many mixed 500G and 1T drives with N54l and 5X5-6T in the future....

does XPenology can run smoothly on N54l since I am doublly?

Solkku

Jul 31, 2015
does XPenology can run smoothly on N54l since I am doublly?
I've never tried XPenology on it to be honest, I just ran NAS4Free for a year. But I've seen some articles/guides on the Internet with people installing XPenology on a USB-stick and runs it on the N54L...