Upgrade to Fiber, what switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LL0rd

Feb 25, 2020
Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my apartment's network to fiber (FTTR) to familiarize myself with the technology. Currently, my setup is based on Unifi devices, but I'm interested in exploring other brands, particularly MikroTik, such as the CRS309-1G-8S+IN switch. My objective is to acquire a managed switch with approximately 8 10 GbE SFP+ ports.

However, my concern is that the CRS309-1G-8S+IN switch was launched around 5 years ago, and I'm hesitant to invest in older hardware without knowing its future support lifespan. So far, I haven't found any recent MikroTik switches that meet my criteria of 10GbE capability, affordability, and recency.

I'm looking for a switch that offers robust security features, including Private VLANs, DHCP Snooping, and MAC-Based VLAN. Additionally, I'm eager to experiment with MikroTik's RouterOS/SwitchOS. Do you have any recommendations for a suitable switch? Alternatively, should I buy an Unifi Aggregation Switch for the time being and await a newer release from MikroTik?

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Depends how desperate you are. The more UI equipment you buy, the the more you will be hesitant to switch to other brands. UI's "one glass panel" management interface is really sweet, and addictive; once you get a taste of managing the entire network from one place (you need to have more devices than just UDMP and a few APs to really appreciate it), you will become more hesitant to add foreign components to the network. I have Aggregation Switch in my network, and all I can say is that it is "boring", what in this case is probably the highest prize I can give. Port based VLANs just work, trunks work, I haven't tested MAC VLANs, or snooping. No bells or whistles, just does what I expect it to do.

Microtik devices are very nice, but they don't integrate well with Unifi's workflow. Whether you should wait for a new switch depends on what you want to use it for. If you just need a 10G switch which will be sitting in the closet, read Unifi's docs, ask on the forum on discord, and once you feel that it checked all the important boxes, just buy it and use.
If you would rather have something to tinker with, but don't need it right now, wait for a new model from Microtik.
If you need the switch now, and also want to have a toy to play with, get the Agg Switch now, and Microtik when/if you find one that you like :)

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
I appreciate the fact that you want to try out "new" technology to learn about it. That being said, there is likely little benefit (outside of knowledge/experience) to be gained from "upgrading my apartment's network to fiber."

I would suggest that you identify the largest need (ie the connections carrying the largest amounts of data) and start there. For example, if you have a computer that you regularly transfer large amounts of data to a NAS, then start with a fiber connection between those two devices. Of it you have two switches that have a fiber connection available, then connect those two switches together, etc, etc, etc.

Also, there are plenty of older enterprise network switches that have 2-8 SFP+ ports on them if you want to "experiment" with fiber without having to spend a fortune on new equipment. There are several Brocade switches that would give you the capacity you want for example (be sure to check out the Brocade thread on this forum if you haven't already).

I wouldn't suggest that you rush out to buy a bunch of fiber equipment all at once, especially without any previous experience with it. Start small so you can learn from your mistakes/experiences at this level/price point, and then expand as needed.

LL0rd

Feb 25, 2020
I would suggest that you identify the largest need (ie the connections carrying the largest amounts of data) and start there. For example, if you have a computer that you regularly transfer large amounts of data to a NAS, then start with a fiber connection between those two devices. Of it you have two switches that have a fiber connection available, then connect those two switches together, etc, etc, etc.
Thank you for sharing your insights. My main objective is to deepen my understanding of FTTR technology, not just fiber in general. I already utilize fiber connections in both my house and apartment. In the house, I have a UDM-Pro and a switch with 4 SFP+ ports, connecting the UDM-Pro and my file server via fiber at 10GbE speeds.

In my apartment, I use a Lancom GS-2352 switch, also equipped with 4 SFP+ ports, to connect my file server via fiber, alongside a 10 GbE copper link to my home office. There, a Netgear switch facilitates connections including a 10 GbE link to my main desktop, ensuring it's also linked to my file server at high speeds.

Thus, speed isn't my primary motivation for upgrading.

My interest in fiber was sparked by witnessing installers use a splicer for fiber connections at my properties, stirring a desire to try it myself. Additionally, a recent experience troubleshooting a 60-meter copper cable installation in my apartment building, which only achieved a 100 MBit connection, taught me a great deal about the limitations of copper/CAT cables.

Consequently, I feel it's time to explore fiber. I've acquired the same splicer used by my fiber installation team and am eager to experiment, starting with converting the point-to-point (PtP) connection to my garage to fiber.