Upgrade LSI 2116IT in X10SDV-4C-7TP4F to P20

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by K D, Apr 9, 2017.

1. K D

K D Well-Known Member

I have been trying to upgrade the firmware that is in P19 to P20 without success using the 9210-16i_it firmware. For now, I have reverted back to P19 using the firmware downloaded from supermicro's ftp site.

Can anyone provide some instructions?

2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

What is erroring out for you?

3. IamSpartacus

IamSpartacus Well-Known Member

I had this same problem. I tried for days using the typical BIN files one uses to flash LSI cards with no success. Finally I reached out to SuperMicro support and they provided me with the necessary files (ROM) for a successful upgrade. Let me see if I can find them.

EDIT: See attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    MKO and K D like this.
  4. K D

K D Well-Known Member

@Patrick : Did not save the exact errors. Should have but was multi tasking. The process failed with Fault Code 0A. After that sas2flash.efi gave an error about a missing firmware for every command. Finally booted into freedos and updated with the SM default drivers.

@IamSpartacus : Thanks. I will try this out tomorrow. Just shutdown for the day. Have to finish a few work related items.

5. IamSpartacus

IamSpartacus Well-Known Member

I have no doubt it will work. The errors you're describing are exactly what I was getting before I tried the files SM provided.

6. K D

K D Well-Known Member

I had started out a large file transfer to the system and that is still running. Another 26 hours to go. Waiting for it to complete before I can reboot the host to apply the firmware update.

7. K D

K D Well-Known Member

Worked flawlessly. Created a FreeDos bootable image that I used to install remotely. Attached it here in case anyone else needed it.

Thanks @IamSpartacus

Attached Files:

8. i-void-warranties

i-void-warranties New Member

Will this work for any SuperMicro motherboard with the LSI2116-IT HBA? Is there an article that outlines the upgrade process?

9. anomaly

anomaly Member

I'm having issues with 4.15.0-34-generic Ubuntu system detecting the HBA over here. The controller is enabled and I can see and access the BIOS during boot, but lspci shows no love. I might try upgrading.