Upgrade 10G network and move away from CX4

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

John G

Jul 17, 2015
I am looking for a recommendation to replace my current switches which have CX4 and move to 10Gbase-T. Main reason is that I need to add a remote switch in a media closet and which will connect via Cat 6e. Second reason is that I want to retire my aged HP servers running VMs and SAN and get a newer NAS.

I need one 48 port switch with 2-4 10GB connections and a remote 8 port in the media closet with a 10GB. The smaller switch doesn’t have to be managed, but the larger one needs to at least do VLAN.

I’ve never used transceivers, but if they work as I understand, I just need switches with SFP+ slots and then I add 10Gbase-T transceivers in both the main and remote switches. And, then when I get a NAS, I can either get 10Gbase-T or fiber transceivers if the NAS also has an SFP+. Is this correct?

What would be a good choice for brand/model for them? Mainly need them to be reliable. Nice to have would be a web GUI on the 48 so that I don’t have to re-learn a CLI for the occasional activity. I see a lot of discussion here on Brocade – are they still the best deal for used?

Currently have:
  • Procurve 2940 48G with CX4 in back
  • 3 SAN and VM servers with Cx4 which will all be retired
  • Procurve 6400lc CX4 switch that connects the above
  • Planet POE injector
Thanks a lot.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
If you want to stick with the cli you are used to with the HPE stuff, swapping over to an Aruba 2540 48G 4SFP+ Switch (JL355A) is dirt-simple but not super cheap. Looks like your 2940 48G or the old 2810-48G's but have 10G SFP+ ports instead.
You can also set the flag to allow unsupported transceivers and get non-HPE stuff to work in the SFP+ ports.

If running new cable - go with fiber instead of copper :)

You can also just run fiber from your existing 2940 48G - add an X2 SR module to add in to the slots on the back next to the CX4. It is the same SR 850nm 10g as you have with the more modern 10G SR SFP+'s just in the old school form factor. Get a SC to LC MM fiber patch made up for the length between the closet and the existing switch and plug the LC end into your new switch in a normal 10G+ SR SFP+ module which are $10-20 new.

I have a 2900-48G in the basement lab desk hooked up to Juniper ex4300 that exact same way, and have modern Juniper & Quanta switches connected up the same way via fiber & x2/xenpack to older HP 5406zl chassis switches, and the old-old HP 6410-cl era switches.

The HP X2 module is J8436A - fs.com also has a module that should work HPE J8436A 10GBASE-SR X2 Transceiver but never tried personally (have 100's of their DACs and (Q)SFP+ however and they are fine).

Last edited:

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I am looking for a recommendation to replace my current switches which have CX4 and move to 10Gbase-T. Main reason is that I need to add a remote switch in a media closet and which will connect via Cat 6e. Second reason is that I want to retire my aged HP servers running VMs and SAN and get a newer NAS.

I need one 48 port switch with 2-4 10GB connections and a remote 8 port in the media closet with a 10GB. The smaller switch doesn’t have to be managed, but the larger one needs to at least do VLAN.

I’ve never used transceivers, but if they work as I understand, I just need switches with SFP+ slots and then I add 10Gbase-T transceivers in both the main and remote switches. And, then when I get a NAS, I can either get 10Gbase-T or fiber transceivers if the NAS also has an SFP+. Is this correct?

What would be a good choice for brand/model for them? Mainly need them to be reliable. Nice to have would be a web GUI on the 48 so that I don’t have to re-learn a CLI for the occasional activity. I see a lot of discussion here on Brocade – are they still the best deal for used?

Currently have:
  • Procurve 2940 48G with CX4 in back
  • 3 SAN and VM servers with Cx4 which will all be retired
  • Procurve 6400lc CX4 switch that connects the above
  • Planet POE injector
Thanks a lot.
Network cards with SFP+ use less power and are sometimes cheaper than their Ethernet counterparts; then you could order DACs for cabling, or do fiber patches if you're too far away for DAC; the fiber SFP+ for 10G are $18/ea and fiber isn't very expensive. 10Ge SFP+ are often over $50/ea; fs.com which is a reliable source of transceivers coded however you want, charges $65/ea. A 3m/10ft DAC is $16.

If you're not married to HP, then checking out the ICX thread ( Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching) | ServeTheHome Forums ) might give you some alternatives.

Last edited:

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
And even less, there are tons of them on eBay for $6-7
DACs can be found <$10 as well.
True; personally I don't mind paying FS.com's price since it'll be new, coded to my request, and have a warranty. Removes the ambiguity of hoping that your eBay seller has correctly identified the transceiver and that you have looked up the right part number.