Updating OmniOS + napp-it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Hello,

I installed OmniOS (OmniOS_Text_r151006p.iso) and napp-it (v0.9b3 nightly) this past summer. I just use it for fileserving needs with ZFS. All through ESXi v5.1 Update 1.

How do I update OmniOS to the latest version, including patches etc? Also, how do I update napp-it? A step by step guide and in proper order would be great as I am still new to this.

Thanks!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Hello,

I installed OmniOS (OmniOS_Text_r151006p.iso) and napp-it (v0.9b3 nightly) this past summer. I just use it for fileserving needs with ZFS. All through ESXi v5.1 Update 1.

How do I update OmniOS to the latest version, including patches etc? Also, how do I update napp-it? A step by step guide and in proper order would be great as I am still new to this.

Thanks!
1. Update OmniOS (as root, CLI command, more see GeneralAdministration )
pkg update

if you are requested to update the pkg command itself due to a newer needed release:
pkg install pkg://package/pkg

2. Update napp-it
Use menu napp-it About Update - you can keep/switch between last 5 versions without reboot
On problems, reboot or redo the update via the basic wget command

A system update creates a BE so you can go back on problems.
You can create BEs (boot environments=bootable ZFS snapshots of your system disk) also manually.

Reactions: darkplayer

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Thank you for the prompt response!

One last question. I was reading this.

It suggests to run the command "pkg update -nv" to see how many updates I need and if reboot is required. However, when I run it in VMware (vSphere v5.1) console I only see the last page of the long report. Is there anyway to scroll up to see the first section in VMware? I would like to see how many updates I need, just for sake of curiosity/learning.

Thank you!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Thank you for the prompt response!

One last question. I was reading this.

It suggests to run the command "pkg update -nv" to see how many updates I need and if reboot is required. However, when I run it in VMware (vSphere v5.1) console I only see the last page of the long report. Is there anyway to scroll up to see the first section in VMware? I would like to see how many updates I need, just for sake of curiosity/learning.

Thank you!
use Putty
or redirect output like pkg update -nv >> file

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Dear gea,

Thank you so much for all of your support and feedback. I truly value and appreciate you.

OmniOS has been successfully updated and I rebooted after. System was up for 109 days (and that was due to power outage I believe). I love Unix!

I am about to update napp-it. However, confused on what version to upgrade to? I have the free version of napp-it. Should I update to 0.9e1 or 0.9e2L? I am assuming to update to e1 since the other is targeted towards Linux?

Thank you again.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Difference between 0.9e1 and 0.9e2L is added support for Linux.
As this requires different libraries there may be bugs in 0.9e2L that I am not aware yet.

If you can live with this, use the newer 0.9e2L otherwise stay at 0.9e1

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Hello!

It is that time again to update. This time from 151008 to r151010.

I am following this guide.

However, once I enter: "/usr/bin/pkg update --be-name=omnios-r151010 entire@11,5.11-0.151010"

It starts updating and then I get the following error message: "pkg: Insufficient disk space available (670.57 MB) for estimate need (1.36GB) for Boot filesystem."

I am running OmniOS under ESXi 5.1 Update 1. I still have free space on the SSD where I keep the VM's on. How exactly can I properly increase the VM size of OmniOS to correct this issue? Once it is increased on the VMware side, do I have to do anything in OmniOS for it to see the larger size?

Or, should I just delete some of the BE back ups?

Thank You!

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Looks like the other unneeded BE is only 200MB. :c(

If I use the current napp-it VM, will I have to re-do all of the network shares, permissions and user accounts? If so, is there a guide to transfer all that over?

Thanks!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Shares are a pool property.
You must recreate users and permissions unless you don't use Active Directory

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
I don't use Active Directory since this is a home environment. Thus, I should be ok with users/permissions transferring over?

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
I don't use Active Directory since this is a home environment. Thus, I should be ok with users/permissions transferring over?
Depends. Lets say you have 2 users. For example user1, uid 1000 and user2, uid 1001. You have given user1 access to datastore1 and user2 access to datastore2. In this case when you migrate the pool to a new machine the access rights for datastore1 will be uid 1000 and for datastore2 uid 1001.

Thus you need to manually recreate the users so they get the correct uid! If you mix it up user1 will get the old user2 access rights and vice versa.

Other properties are like gea said stored on the zpool itself. I.e. nfs-share on etc.