Updating Napp-It after a loong time

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tnkrer

Sep 20, 2016
My current install of napp-it is
running version : 17.06free Aug.14.2017
I was looking at updating napp it and about > update provided this option
wget updates : 18.01free
I would like to update to the latest version. Based on what I see on napp-it.org, the latest free for home use version is
Last LTS: Napp-it ToGo version. ( zfs-san038-esxi67.ova ) not sure what the version number is for this one.
How do I update to this version from my really old version?
I will keep looking for instructions, guides etc, but if someone has a pointer, would really appreciate that.

nappit.org has this option

Napp-it Reinstall

If you want to reinstall your appliance, reinstall the OS and napp-it via wget.
If you want to restore settings, backup and restore /var/web-gui/_log/* either
manually or via backup-job. With napp-it Pro you can use menu User > restore
to restore settings. The pool can be simply imported via menu Pools > import.

Would that be my best option?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Would that be my best option?
depends on OmniOS version.
If OmniOS is very old (< 151030) I would install the current OmniOS stable or LTS and install napp-it via wget. Optionally save/ restore napp-it settings and users with their uid.

If OmniOS is 151030 or newer, update napp-it via menu About > update
in several annual steps to 21.06 free or 22.06 pro, then update OmniOS to newest,
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/setup_napp-it_os.pdf

If this is an AiO virtualized setup under ESXi, either update or deploy a current ova template (preconfigured and tuned OmniOS with napp-it and vmware tools)

Last edited:

tnkrer

Sep 20, 2016
This is an AiO virtualized setup under ESXi. So I am planning to deploy current ova template in a new VM and import settings from the old VM and see how that works.
Not sure yet how the users will be imported or if they will need to be re-created
If I have to recreate the users, the userId will be important right? If the password changes, that should be OK?
Using standard *nix mechanisms to migrate the users - e.g. stackexchange

"backup and restore /var/web-gui/_log/* either manually or via backup-job" - What will this restore? Will it restore the users? If not users, why do I need this?

After reading help, it seems that restoring this backed up settings will recreate the users. So I am going to try that
According to the help
"Copy back the needed files ex /"your datapool"/backup_appliance/web-gui/_log/* to/var/web-gui/_log/"
I did that and restarted napp-it, but I have not seen the users recreated :(
What do I need to do after copying the _log directory?

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
This is an AiO virtualized setup under ESXi. So I am planning to deploy current ova template in a new VM and import settings from the old VM and see how that works.
Not sure yet how the users will be imported or if they will need to be re-created
If I have to recreate the users, the userId will be important right? If the password changes, that should be OK?
Using standard *nix mechanisms to migrate the users - e.g. stackexchange

"backup and restore /var/web-gui/_log/* either manually or via backup-job" - What will this restore? Will it restore the users? If not users, why do I need this?

After reading help, it seems that restoring this backed up settings will recreate the users. So I am going to try that
According to the help
"Copy back the needed files ex /"your datapool"/backup_appliance/web-gui/_log/* to/var/web-gui/_log/"
I did that and restarted napp-it, but I have not seen the users recreated :(
What do I need to do after copying the _log directory?
if you recreate users with same uid (menu users or command useradd), Windows SMB permissions remain intact. Otherwise you must newly set Windows permissions for users with different uid. If you use Windows AD situation is different as the Solarish kernelbased SMB server uses the real Windows AD sid as security reference so ACL remain always intact. You only need to rejoin AD. Basically it would be possible to save/restore Unix user data (as user root)

/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
/etc/group
/etc/user_attr

and local Windows SMB groups and passwords in
/var/smb/smbpasswd
/var/smb/smbgroup.db (database with SMB groups should be recreated not just file copied)

The _log directory contains napp-it settings and jobs or keys

When you create and run a backup job, all settings are backupped in /'pool'/backup_appliance/*. You can then restore manually or in napp-it pro via menu User > restore

tnkrer

Sep 20, 2016
Thanks Gea. I have been able to update to the latest napp-it version. Here is a summary of how I did that (as a reference to myself if I need it in future and for anyone else that might be planning to do it)
On the old napp it vm
* right click on the VM and edit settings. Remove the PCI device for the HBA. I found that I could not use the same PCI device for both the VMs
* Restart the old VM (just to be sure that the removal of PCI device is fully done, may not be necessary)
Now build the new system
* Download the latest all in one ESXI virtualized setup template from napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris : Downloads
* register a new VM on the ESXI using this template
* This will create the new VM
* Edit settings and add PCI device for the HBA
* start VM
* enable ssh. (This required enabling .. Without this step ssh was not successfully running)
* Import the pools, this imports your pools completely with all their settings and permissions etc
* recreate any groups you had on the old system
* recreate any ldmapping you had on the old system
* Recreate the users by reusing the password, gid and uid from old system
* New system had guest user with uid 101. Old system did not have this user and I had another user with uid 101. So I edited /etc/passwd and changed the uid for guest user to 201. This allowed me to recreate the old user with uid 101
* After this restarted the system and all my users could access the server from their systems (windows 10, windows 11, mac).
* One of the windows 11 machines could not access the smb shares. I had to add/remove windows features and add "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support". This computer only had "SMB Direct" checked on it
* And now the system is running just like before. the old one was 17.06free and the new one is 21.06a5

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Regarding Windows 11 and SMB 3.1.1

Windows 11 use 256bit Cipher. This is underway in OmniOS, see

a workaround is using 128bit cipher like in Windows 10
start registry file for this as admin, reboot, see