Unknown user in Google Chrome: is this a hack?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Hi,
Several months ago my modem was hacked after visiting a dating site and I was redirected to a fake email site.
At the time I noticed a 'unknown user account' in Internet Explorer.

I have installed a new SSD and transferred my documents across. I have ditched my router and now using mobile internet through my cell phone. I have been noticing high SSD usage of 20 GB per session with some web browsing and little YouTube (though I have quite a few sites added to my IE toolbar).

I looked at user accounts in Chrome and came across this 'unknown user account'.
Could I be subjected to another hack?
Cropped screenshot.jpg

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have installed a new SSD and transferred my documents across.
Did you also copy this shortcut? If yes then it's a leftover from the previous installation and contains a user/group guid in the filesystems attributes that it can't find in your local registry.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks @i386 for the feedback! I'm not sure if I copied the shortcut.
But I am the sole user on this PC?? And at the time my router was previously hacked I did not see an additional user in chrome.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Yeah but some programms add "hidden" users for their services, I think chrome has(had?) a user for the updateservice.

I just checked my google chrome shortcut from a previous windows 7 installation and it also has an unknown account/user:
Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks @i386 for your feedback!!
Maybe it was reading the unknown user in IE that I had deleted?
Anyway, glad to know it may not be a hack. Thanks again.

DWSimmons

Apr 9, 2017
For Chrome, I had an unknown user from an allowed app. I think it was Google Contacts. I don't remember the details but when I researched it (read: googling Google products) I remember feeling satisfied and I vaguely remember that unlinking the accounts would have removed the "unknown" user but I chose not to because I wanted the service to stay updated. Sorry about the vague answer.

Reactions: Boddy