UniFi Flex Switch is In Stock!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gizzard

Nov 21, 2020
You would need a poe splitter to power it, but I think if you did, you could get 2x poe ports vs just having one:
This is an interesting idea! The specifications for the TL-SG1005P say it is powered by 54 VDC / 1.3 A. Do you happen to know what kind of POE injector and splitter would be necessary to power the switch itself and allow it to deliver around 7-8 W x 2 ports via 802.3af?

I am contemplating installing an outdoor IP65 rated enclosure with this switch and run a single ethernet cable to it from inside for both power and ethernet. Then, I want to power a POE doorbell and outdoor IP camera from the enclosure. In theory the Unifi Flex would allow this without necessarily needing the enclosure if powered by a 60W injector AFAIK, but 1) the Flex is not available, and 2) I am not sure the Flex will withstand Chicago winters...

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This is an interesting idea! The specifications for the TL-SG1005P say it is powered by 54 VDC / 1.3 A. Do you happen to know what kind of POE injector and splitter would be necessary to power the switch itself and allow it to deliver around 7-8 W x 2 ports via 802.3af?

I am contemplating installing an outdoor IP65 rated enclosure with this switch and run a single ethernet cable to it from inside for both power and ethernet. Then, I want to power a POE doorbell and outdoor IP camera from the enclosure. In theory the Unifi Flex would allow this without necessarily needing the enclosure if powered by a 60W injector AFAIK, but 1) the Flex is not available, and 2) I am not sure the Flex will withstand Chicago winters...
I haven't fully looked into it, but I think an injector and splitter that will basically send the 54vdc at 1.3a to the switch should be good enough for the switch to then supply its poe ratings. I think the v1 version of the switch might do this better too since its power supply is 48vdc and not 54vdc.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
I have a flex in my attic, powering 2x IP Cams. This is Florida heat and I'm curious how long it will last. Seeing as other Unifi stuff I have runs super hot, I believe it might do just fine.

I have a Pro 48 POE that is hot to the touch on the top of the switch. It generates so much heat. I wish they put some fans in this thing.

• Wow
Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I have a flex in my attic, powering 2x IP Cams. This is Florida heat and I'm curious how long it will last. Seeing as other Unifi stuff I have runs super hot, I believe it might do just fine.

I have a Pro 48 POE that is hot to the touch on the top of the switch. It generates so much heat. I wish they put some fans in this thing.
I would definitely put some sort of external fan on it if possible. While the metal cases might be heatsinks, if they're hot to the touch the internal components are even hotter.