Unable to get Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F to USB boot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fatmcgav

Feb 11, 2014
Hey there,

So I've recently purchased a new storage server that includes a Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F.
Unfortunately it looks like the previous owner failed to reset the IPMI, so I'm currently locked out...

I managed to reset the IPMI network config via the BIOS, and so can hit the login page atleast.

I've tried creating a FreeDOS USB thrumb drive using Unetbootin, and copy the IPMICfg utility onto it.
However I just cannot get the system to boot from it. Whenever I select the USB drive, I just get a black screen.

I've tried looking for any kind of "Legacy" or "non-uefi" boot mode in the BIOS, but I'm not seeing anything.
I've also tried a couple of different USB sticks, to no avail

I even tried to boot the ESXi 7 installer from a USB drive, but that doesn't work also...

Any ideas on how I can get something to boot?

Thanks in advance.
Gavin

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I've tried looking for any kind of "Legacy" or "non-uefi" boot mode in the BIOS, but I'm not seeing anything.
Look for a menu item called "CSM" ( Compatibility Support Module ) and enable it. After a restart you should have more boot options.

fatmcgav

Feb 11, 2014
Look for a menu item called "CSM" ( Compatibility Support Module ) and enable it. After a restart you should have more boot options.
So I've had another poke through the BIOS this evening, and not finding anything referencing CSM or Compatibility Support Module...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

penrhos

Nov 23, 2020
Try:-

enter bios - Reset to defaults, save settings, on reboot press correct function key for boot menu and select usb pen - if it hangs then USB pen is probably not formatted correctly - try booting a pc/laptop from it to confirm.

Contact seller - as everything should have been reset to defaults, it could be that it's faulty...

Check TPM or secure boot isn't enabled.

Try using rufus to create your boot usb-pen - works for me..

I managed to factory reset a completely locked down SuperMicro board but it took a bit of lateral thinking. Mine would only boot from the raid controller, IPMI was disabled and there was a bios password no-one could remember.

I ended up installing freedos full onto a small SSD and connecting it to the raid controller, booting the server and flashing the ipmi with retain data = N, I also flashed the bios with latest version and cleared NVRAM which effectively factory-reset the board.

Also try using the on-board usb port.

Reactions: nnunn

fatmcgav

Feb 11, 2014
So after a few go's, I managed to get the ESXi 7 installer to boot in UEFI mode from a USB drive.

From there, I was able to install ipmicfg and reset the onboard IPMI.
Also managed to find a tutorial on how to flash the LSI controller from the UEFI shell, so that's in IT mode now.

Final thing to do is upgrade the BIOS to the latest version, and then migrate all my drives over from the old NAS...

Thanks for the pointers all...