Unable to create pool in Truenas VM in Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Not sure if this is a proxmox question or a truenas one.
I passed through the entire HBA in IT mode to the Truenas VM in Proxmox 7.
However, I cannot create a new pool , or add a vdev in Truenas. I was able to do so just a week ago..until I updated proxmox recently, and also truenas scale a few days ago.

Consistently getting this error

Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 426, in run await self.future File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 461, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args)) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1186, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1318, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 757, in do_create verrors.check() File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/service_exception.py", line 70, in check raise self middlewared.service_exception.ValidationErrors: [EINVAL] pool_create.topology: Disks have duplicate serial numbers: '' (vda, vdb).

I googled this and found that most people have similar errors either only passthrough their drives, and not the entire HB or their drives were USB attached drives. Which is not true for my case

Any help appreciate. Much thanks!

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
The disk names in the exception message (vda, vdb) look very suspicious. Please that you selected the disks connected to the HBA, and not virt-io disks, which show up in the system as /dev/vd*
Disks connected to the HBA should be visible as /dev/sd*

Last edited:

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thank you for your reply.
I can confirm that the disks are all connected to the HBA (9300-16i), and the HBA is passthrough to the Truenas VM.
What I dont understand is that I could previously create a pool and vdev, but for some reason I cannot anymore.
This is on a Asus X99 deluxe motherboard if it helps. I did not make any changes in the bios

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Thank you for your reply.
I can confirm that the disks are all connected to the HBA (9300-16i), and the HBA is passthrough to the Truenas VM.
What I dont understand is that I could previously create a pool and vdev, but for some reason I cannot anymore.
This is on a Asus X99 deluxe motherboard if it helps. I did not make any changes in the bios
Which edition of TrueNAS do you use (Scale/Core)? To help isolate the problem, try to create a debian 11.5 VM, pass the HBA to it, and check how the drives show up there.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I am using the latest Truenas scale 22.12.2.
Will try to do as you say ( creating a debian VM and passing the hba to it)
thank you

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Created a ubuntu VM and pass the HBA to it. What do I do to see if it passes the HBA through properly?