EXPIRED UK/EU - C240 M5 26sff - 40gbe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
is it stock occulink to front as well? manual is not saying anything about what cable they use

the front did not look like occulink

and they are using a pcie switch for nvme for morethan X drives, no bifurcation :|

I got single nvme working in dualsupermicro m.2 pci gen3 card at least, gen4,entire server hangs, and it doesnt detect both drives, regardless

turbo

Mar 17, 2022
Thanks mrpasc for posting the Cisco server installation doc, I didn't realize there were -HD versions of the RAID and SAS cards that makes sense.

you can toggle JBOD mode on the drive/controller, it seems to be working decent with ZFS from the labbing today

you can connect the cables to normal HBA, (front is non expander) but there is i2c magic happening
You're using the UCSC-RAID-M5 controller successfully? I do see the doc mentions JBOD mode, but I usually try to avoid RAID controllers for ZFS.

Anybody have a clue what the P/N is for the "Mini-storage M.2 SSD carrier" referenced? Since I'm missing the rear NVME backplane I'm thinking this might be the cheapest way to add some NVME storage to the box?

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
UCS-MSTOR-M2=
caveat: the socket has only x2 PCIE connection (was initially used with similar carrier for two SD cards, the M.2 option came after ESXI 7.0 was announced :cool::cool::cool:;))
So it’s intended as boot device, not for real NVME storage

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
You're using the UCSC-RAID-M5 controller successfully? I do see the doc mentions JBOD mode, but I usually try to avoid RAID controllers for ZFS.
Not being @ano but can answer: you can either just set the attached disks into JBOD mode or the whole controller. Later needs to have the battery pack removed, otherwise the option to change „controller personality“ stays grayed out.
There is an dedicated „HBA“ available for M5 as well but never seen in the wild. UCSC-SAS-M5HD=

ano

Nov 7, 2022
for like VSAN 6/7 theeese things would have been nice, m2 boot, nvme cache in rear, lots of storage etc

makeing ceph lab and misc labs with them.

getting nvme working properly seems a tad bit expensive, can just buy h12 and stuff like that instead, but its ending up like a dirt cheap lab with sata/sas devices and 6132 cpus.

fan mode "accoustic" is also key btw. even there it cooles m.2 nvme to 35c.. rear mounted nvme m.2on pcie...

Reactions: michel333

turbo

Mar 17, 2022
UCS-MSTOR-M2=
caveat: the socket has only x2 PCIE connection (was initially used with similar carrier for two SD cards, the M.2 option came after ESXI 7.0 was announced :cool::cool::cool:;))
So it’s intended as boot device, not for real NVME storage
Thanks! I found that P/N around but I wasn't sure if it was only for the UCS blade servers. That's a shame though that it's 2x. Will a pair of Optane 900P PCI cards work in the server? I'm not sure if it will barf with non-Cisco certified HW. I'd rather not use USB for boot but I don't really want to spend hundreds on adapter boards either.

250GB of NVME for is enough for what I'm hoping to use it for, then stuffing it with SATA SSDs :D

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Ive gotten as far as unpack 3 units and still missing the 4th, i suspect i will end up being refunded for the last unit with how its looking atm.

michel333

Apr 9, 2023
I have some 1.6 TB sas ssd ibm micron formatted as 528 byte sector size... probably because of T10-pi standard.

Tried to format to 512 bytes using sg_format, not working because of error. I guess I need an hba or megaraid that supports T10-pi standard, or a pcie ibm power megaraid... not sure.
I bought this sas ssd pretty cheap, I don't think that Cisco raid adapter will work with these drives but I'll give it a try.
I also ordered a pcie ibm power raid adapter 57b4 but I am not sure it is compatible with non ibm servers...
I checked some info on forums ... I will be grateful if you guys have some knowledge about it!

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Tried to format to 512 bytes using sg_format, not working because of error. I guess I need an hba or megaraid that supports T10-pi standard, or a pcie ibm power megaraid... not sure.
I have a supermicro board with a LSI3008 chip in IT mode just for sg_format.
Tested 10+ hbas i had and none of them would read the drive at a low enough level to do it before the 3008 could, so just kept it for that.

Reactions: michel333

michel333

Apr 9, 2023
I have a supermicro board with a LSI3008 chip in IT mode just for sg_format.
Tested 10+ hbas i had and none of them would read the drive at a low enough level to do it before the 3008 could, so just kept it for that.
I have a avago megaraid sas 9341-4i, on the forum people successfully flashed it to it mode (hba), no time to try this yet.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
its still very loud, louder than any 2U I've ever used (when you try to quiet it)

Reactions: Layla

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
its still very loud, louder than any 2U I've ever used (when you try to quiet it)
Agreed - anyone know if these things fan speeds can be remotely controlled via IPMI like SuperMicro servers can be?

ano

Nov 7, 2022
it has a serial console, we used that to reset the cimc password etc

@Layla not found a a way yet, the fan themselfs are HUUUUUUGE,double length style. but even in acoustic mode, they push so much air you can benchmount m.2 in pcie slot...