UGREEN NASync

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TomSwift

May 14, 2020
I saw this the other day, they looked really good. The only thing I'm concerned about is the UGOS Pro OS, I would love one of these with TrueNas or some other established OS'

Also because of past kickstarter experience I'd be hesitant on supporting it. I'm currently in queue to be added to the FB group to get more info on it.

Specifications[1].png

tsteine

May 15, 2019
Having ODECC as a separate feature in the overview and saying "supported" is very disingenuous.

ODECC is literally a required part of the DDR5 spec, and it's always supported so long as it's DDR5. It's like they're trying to confuse consumers into thinking this supports traditional ECC.

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
What exactly is UGOS Pro operating system? Proprietary closed source *nix?

Makes no mention of virtualization/containerization or plug-ins.

Last edited:

nquinn

Jan 1, 2022
I wish they'd list expected prices. They are asking $5 to reserve a unit but not even telling people what they will cost! What do you guys think they'll charge for the 4-bay NVME system?

For comparison, I see:

- QNAP 4-bay model: $600 now, or
- Asustor 6-bay model: $450 now, has bounced around a bit

Ugreen is a smaller brand name. Would love to see this unit end up sub $400 since we can't really trust the software yet.

Reactions: TomSwift

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
I wish they'd list expected prices. They are asking $5 to reserve a unit but not even telling people what they will cost! What do you guys think they'll charge for the 4-bay NVME system?
they do quote both the expected MRSP as well as the „early bird“ one.
For the 4 Bay NVME it is $779.99 and $479.99

IMG_3452.png

KingKaido

Nov 24, 2023
I really like the DXP4800 Plus, the CPU it's using can support 64GB RAM based on Intel ark(assuming it's got 2 upgradable ram slots), has 1P core and 4 e cores, so decently powerful, it's got 4 bays, 2 x m.2, 10gbe + 2x2.5Gbe, it's a nice AIO,

We just gotta hope the the prices fall close to the 'Kickstarter early bird prices' when it's readily available and on a promotion

nquinn

Jan 1, 2022
Oh I missed that. Wow is that an expensive MSRP (though in fairness the i5-1235u is a much better cpu than what most competition uses). $480 is still a lot though.

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
Does anyone know the speed of the DDR5 memory slots? In all of the reviews on tubes - and any info I can find on the web states nothing about the speed of the memory allowed.

Dec 3, 2020
No, but this strongly depends on the NAS model and the CPU.

The models with i5 have a 1235u on board. This CPU supports:

Up to DDR5 4800 MT/s
Up to DDR4 3200 MT/s
Up to LPDDR5 5200 MT/s
Up to LPDDR4x 4267 MT/s

The CPU in the smaller systems are Intel Gold 8505 with

Up to DDR5 4800 MT/s
Up to DDR4 3200 MT/s
Up to LPDDR5 5200 MT/s
Up to LPDDR4x 4267 MT/s

So, this should be the memory limitation.

If you follow social media and the kickstarter site, it looks like that Ugreen is thinking about opening this system, which means that they officialy allow installation of third party OSs. This makes it absolutely interesting because the kikstarter price is very hot for 6 or 8 bay systems with this compute power, features, NIC speeds and interfaces.

Its a software based NAS, this means the drives are physically only JBOD (which is good for ZFS and maybe others).

BUT:

If we take a closer look at the storage subsystem and the NICs, there might be some showstoppers.

These devices only support SATA drives. The controllers seem to be ASMedia 1164. Thats not high end, but its enough for a SATA based system I think.

A bigger problem is the 10G-NIC in the 6 and 8 bay model:

The 2.5G NICs in some smaller models seem to be Intel 226-V (DevID unknown). Thats not that bad, because most OSs support this NIC.

The 10G NICs seem to be Aquantia / Mavel AQC113 (DevID 04c0). While Intel NICs are widely supported on a lot of platforms, its not the same for Mavel NICs. For instance, this specific NIC is not supported on ESXi* , not supported on FreeBSD and other exotic platforms like Illumos. For Linux drivers are available, but its not supported out of the box at every distribution. A quick and dirty google search results in problems with proxmox too, but there might be a solution.

This situation makes this very nice piece of hardware unuseable for a lot of usecases.

*Please stop crying, we all know about the current situation and that most people will move away from ESXi since its no longer free. But there are still enough people who might be interested in this information or might have a VMUG subscription.

Last edited:

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
Just got an email from Ugreen regarding kickstarter:

Hi everyone,
We're deeply grateful for your support of the Ugreen NASync Series on Kickstarter. We've received numerous inquiries and concerns about the $5 deposit, and we understand your apprehensions. Allow us to clarify the deposit policy once more.
Our initial intent with the $5 discount was to guage interest early to help spread out manufacturing and to thank our early supporters with the best discount. Unfortunately because we are new to crowdfunding we did not realize that this would not work. Our kickstarter and marketing teams were not as aligned on this as they needed to be to realize the problem. We apologize for this and will strive to do better in the future.
When we recognized this issue, we found ourselves with only two options: either extend the 40% off to everyone or retract it entirely due to the structure of Kickstarter tiers. Despite the potential cost, we believed it was essential to honor our original commitment and provide everyone with the 40% discount.
If you wish to avail yourself of the 40% off super early bird price, you can place your order now. If you require our further response, we will certainly fulfill our promise and our team is currently working on a solution and will inform everyone as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding and support.
Ugreen NASync Team

So, I paid $5 so that everyone else wouldn't have to - nice! i love the touch about having to cancel the initial 40% off - but hey we are nice enough to make it available to all.