Ubuntu Nvidia Driver issue with Supermicro motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
I want to use my 1070/1080ti in Ubuntu with Nvidia driver on Supermicro motherboard. Installation is no problem however when I want to login Ubuntu after installation I am stuck with the login screen. It is just keep jumping back to the login screen (the login loop issue). The only way to get it work is to set priority of VGA to lower priority in the BIOS. However I will lose the IPMI KVM functions which I use a lot.

Has anyone been able to:
1) Use Nvidia driver in Ubuntu AND 2) Able to use Supermicro IPMI KVM function at the same time?

Thanks in advance!!

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I have the same issue on 16.04 LTS. I think it's failed start session error. I just use alt+F1 and used the console to run docker from there

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Got to study how docker works since I am new to Linux. Noob question: so in docker you can use Nvidia driver for graphics card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JazzFaucet

May 19, 2017
@maxermaxer Short answer yes. Long answer, there are two ways to do it. One is to use standard Docker and configure your container to use the nvidia driver installed on the Docker host. The second is to use nvidia-docker which is effectively a docker container with a particular nvidia driver rolled into it. The benefit of the second approach is that things "just work", ie there is no messing about trying to match the host driver with the driver the container requires etc. There is a nice diagram on the nvidia-docker GitHub page that helps explain what is going on.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
@maxermaxer Short answer yes. Long answer, there are two ways to do it. One is to use standard Docker and configure your container to use the nvidia driver installed on the Docker host. The second is to use nvidia-docker which is effectively a docker container with a particular nvidia driver rolled into it. The benefit of the second approach is that things "just work", ie there is no messing about trying to match the host driver with the driver the container requires etc. There is a nice diagram on the nvidia-docker GitHub page that helps explain what is going on.
Thanks so much! I will study it. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk