trying to install & run dance of the planets, an oldy for Dos & 32bit

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nichos

Mar 5, 2015
Hi,

Am I going in the right direction by trying to use Hyper V ?

I read a few how-to but mine here is different somehow.

I cannot make a virtual machine. It gives error "no object found in localhost".

Also no New in Actions.

How do I go about it? Please see attached .....thnx .....nick

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Hi Nick - welcome to STH!

What CPU do you have on your machine. The "embedded" Hyper-V on Windows 8/8.1 requires a CPU with a memory management feature called "Second Level Address Translation" aka SLAT. I believe that without it the Hyper-V service will not run - and if you attach Hyper-V manager to a system without the Hyper-V service you get a message very similar to the one you have here.

See here for more info on how to confirm your system can support Hyper-V: Does your Windows 8.1 computer support Hyper-V? - Tech Page One

Best of luck to you!

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Don't know much about Hyper-V but when it comes to old DOS games I've found it much easier to just run them in DOSbox rather than try and finagle them into a VM. I've tried it myself with DOS/w98 VMs under ESXi, workstation and KVM and as well as the headache of installing the envirnnment and software you still have issues surrounding getting the (virtual) hardware working.

The DOSbox compatibility list has Dance of the Planets 2 listed as compatible, have you tried it out?

nichos

Mar 5, 2015
Thanx all,

I am trying DosBox.

Do you know the series of commands to get to "....Dance.exe...." & where is the Configuration file?