Trying to If there's any warranty on HGST10TBs - Invalid Serial

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I have 8x10TB HGST drives from Ebay that I bought for the server - all in good shape according to SMART Data. And all with Spring Summer 2016 Dates on them so ijust though i'd check warranty if there was any. And i keep getting Invalid Serial, I checked the numbers several times to make sure i wasn't putting in wrong and i've tried different drives/numbers. Any thoughts? even if they are pulls like from Netapps or something shouldn't there be a record?

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Ironic you bring this up as I posted about this last night in this deal thread: BRAND NEW HGST 4TB SAS HUS726040ALS214 for under $70 ($55 for qty >= 10)

I ran the serial in the ebay listing through the HGST Verify Waranty Eligbility site and it returned a warranty status of "Please return drive to the point of purchase or system manufacturer."

Those are NetApp drives so that response makes sense. Provided those non HGST warrantied drives show up, I would think any HGST drive would, but I don't have the experience to assert that with a high degree of confidence. I can say I've ran dozens of retail HGST HDDs through that site over the years and never received the invalid serial reply you are referring to. I always have an issue entering the darn captcha correctly though. o_O

I'm in the market for large HDDs at the moment. Can I ask what you paid / from whom?

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I always have an issue entering the darn captcha correctly though
Yeah same here it takes me 3-4 trys to get it right or just click refresh to get an easier one.

I'm in the market for large HDDs at the moment. Can I ask what you paid / from whom?
I picked up 10TB HGSTs for around $240 - they're SATAs. I cleaned out the seller :) it was humancomputer

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Nope, HGST oems the drive to different vendors like dell or netapp.

Netapp probably has their own database with the serials and warranty dates.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
So just to follow up - i checked several 10TB Drives that are on Ebay - Getting the serials from the photos and all say Invalid Serial

Edit just checked 3 HGST 8TB Drives on Ebay - 2 of 3 said invalide serial, third said:

2EG8RRAR Please return drive to the point of purchase or system manufacturer.

Last edited: