Trying to get some 10TB drives working with a SAS card...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yeettehh330

Mar 13, 2024
I've messed with SAS cards and drives some in the past but I'm not super experienced at it.

So, I got my hands on some 10TB HGST drives. The objective is to wipe the data on the drives, verify that they are wiped, and have a log of both the wipe and verification, and then I can do whatever with them.

IMG_20240313_132514_2.jpg

But, I'm having trouble getting them to work with a SAS card. I tried connecting the drives to a Dell Perc H330. The Perc recognizes there are drives but declares all of them as failed. I thought I had 8 drives connected but I see only 7 in the below pic. I'll sort that out later.

IMG_20240313_140413_2.jpg

I am using some 3D printed screwless tray caddies rather than the official Dell caddies. I don't think that matters but I mention it just in case. Yes, in the pic below all but 1 drive is disconnected.

IMG_20240313_133239_2.jpg

Earlier I had 8 Dell branded drives connected to the Perc H330 card and had no issues. I tried an HPE branded drive and it said Failed too so I thought maybe the Perc was just not cooperating with non Dell branded drives. I did try updating the Perc H330 to the latest firmware (25.5.8.0001, A14) in case that might help but it did not.

In the end I tried the drives in a PowerEdge T420 with one of the SAS cards that was used with the drives in their previous server, a SAS2008 card, also known as a 9211-8i. However, I flashed the card to IT when previously the card was IR. Here is a pic showing info of one of the drives. Curiously, it shows the drive as having 0 size.

IMG_20240313_173525_2.jpg

There is a Format and Verify option in this pic. Format is the white rectangle. However, I'd rather not Format and Verify the drives one by one, assuming this option would work at all when something seems to be amiss.

With the T420 and 9211-8i I tried booting in to PartedMagic, Fedora Live USB, and Windows Server 2016. In the Linux based OSes I was able to see the drives if I ran lsblk in Terminal, but other than that I couldn't do anything with the drives. For example they weren't listed in gparted as devices that I could work with. In Win Server the drives were listed in Disk Management but they were offline and I couldn't just toggle them online. When I tried that I got a vague error message that I don't remember right now.

One thing I hadn't thought of trying until just now was that I could take those same Dell branded SAS drives that worked for me earlier and use them to check if my T420 + 9211-8i setup is working at all.

I'm guessing I'm missing something, or multiple things, but what can I do to get these 10TB drives working?

yeettehh330

Mar 13, 2024
I tried the Dell branded SAS drives in the PowerEdge T420 + LSI 9211-8i IT setup and they worked so that suggests the 9211-8i IT card is OK.

I tried bypassing the backplane of the T420 by getting a cable that can connect two drives directly to one port of the 9211-8i. That also didn't work.

Does Netflix use a special firmware on the 10TB HGST SAS drives or the LSI 9211-8i cards in their servers? These drives and cards came out of a Netflix server. I didn't think they'd have special firmware at first but the way the drives don't work with any card I try makes me think differently. In fact I reflashed all the LSI 9211-8i cards from RAID to IT without thinking maybe the firmware was special. When IT mode didn't work with the drives then today I tried flashing one of the cards back to RAID just to see if it might help and found it still doesn't work with the 10TB HGST drives. Or, I guess the original server could have sat on a shelf for a while and all the drives went bad during that time but that seems unlikely.

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I tried the Dell branded SAS drives in the PowerEdge T420 + LSI 9211-8i IT setup and they worked so that suggests the 9211-8i IT card is OK.

I tried bypassing the backplane of the T420 by getting a cable that can connect two drives directly to one port of the 9211-8i. That also didn't work.

Does Netflix use a special firmware on the 10TB HGST SAS drives or the LSI 9211-8i cards in their servers? These drives and cards came out of a Netflix server. I didn't think they'd have special firmware at first but the way the drives don't work with any card I try makes me think differently. In fact I reflashed all the LSI 9211-8i cards from RAID to IT without thinking maybe the firmware was special. When IT mode didn't work with the drives then today I tried flashing one of the cards back to RAID just to see if it might help and found it still doesn't work with the 10TB HGST drives. Or, I guess the original server could have sat on a shelf for a while and all the drives went bad during that time but that seems unlikely.
It could be that the disks are vendor locked to Dell, or it could be your cable. You already proved both card and disks are working in the T420 :)

Airz

Jan 22, 2014
Dell perc controllers will only work with Dell branded SAS disks. If you want to use non-dell branded 3.5" disks they'd have to be SATA as they work fine.
I had a similar issue with SSDs in that generic SATA SSDs worked fine in a T630 but generic SAS would just show as offline.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Use the 9211 in IT mode, and bypass the backplane. Boot without any drives, and post the output you see in dmesg after plugging a drive in.