"Trunking"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
Hi Guys

As i seem especially talented as asking stupid / newbie questions.. I hope you dont mind another!

I volunteer for a local organisation of which I have recently put in a 2nd hand server (hp ML360 g7 i think) running windows server 2012 r2 - all seems to be going swimmingly well currently (considering how large a learning curve it was to set up AD etc) . As the building is split into 2 sections (POS terminals one side / office pcs and server the other) i have had 2x cat6 cables run between the buildings with the idea of 'trunking' 2 switches together.

I have a single tp link sg1016de next to the server and have the 2 Ethernet ports teamed in windows to present a single IP the switch then has these 2 ports 'trunked'

I am about to add another switch (same switch) to put in the POS area so i can have all the pos terminals and 1 pc going into this. I then want to use the 2 cables (between the buildings) to connect the 2 switches together, ideally trunking the 2 together to provide better multi access speed etc.

Do i have to set up port trunking on both switches? or is it just one and the other switch will configure itself? Documentation is a bit vague and tends to deal with switch to PC rather than switch to switch.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
is the switch your working on actually a managed switch ?? Trunking or dot1q means passing multiple vlans on a single links.
If you want to bundle multiple port between switches you need to enable link aggregation such as lacp on both links that interconnect the switches.
Bundling 2 port on server nics (HP) have multiple modes, you can set it up as failover or also in lacp mode if your switch supports it.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Looks like that is a full managed switch. To answer your question, Yes you need to configure link aggregation on both switches and then decide if u want to pass all vlan from one switch to the other

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
Thanks Azev... appreciate your help. I'm sure I could have figured it out by trial and error.. but as I'm so time poor I thought it better to ask experts first!...

The joys of owning your own business and being a volunteer!

Steve