True or false? Graphics cards and rack mounted servers...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I was referring to the E5-2670 for $89 as of a couple days ago, currently at $110 (Dec. 21 2015)

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Reactions: T_Minus

mmmann

Dec 5, 2015
Interesting information, j_h_o. The KVM over CAT looks quite interesting. I'm a little leery of Black Box as my experience is that they provide OK solutions for very high prices, but if not them, then some other vendor will have something similar.

Thanks! And Happy Holidays to you and everyone here on servethehome.

mmmann

Dec 5, 2015
Hey uOpt--thanks for this reply.

My take away from your comment is that having a consumer-level graphics card with two outputs could be mildly dangerous because it, like the motherboard, could be susceptible to RAM errors and could blue-screen the server.

Say you wanted to be safe--would you install two separate video cards of the nVidia Quadro or AMD FirePro variety? If not in a 3-4U case, would they go on two risers on a 2U? If I ran a new CPU with the very newest (fastest!) built-in Intel GPU, could I install only one extra graphics card and use both at the same time?

Paul Bommel

Oct 30, 2015
I skimmed the thread and have a question:

Why KVM over IP/CAT?

The graphic card is only for hardware decoding.
See recommendations for the software: Download Blue Iris

The IP-Cams itself could be monitored with the webserver: Web Server - Blue Iris

I would say IPMI-KVM for setup (if necessary) should be enought.

So:

2U with LP Geforce or Quadro (-> no need for riser) should do the job.

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
I run a HP ML350 G6 as a muck around workstation

Popped in 2 x old 8600GT cards.....

4 Monitors and dual quad cores with 128Gig ram makes it do all I need it to do.

;)

Reactions: Diavuno

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
just to add to this we recently started a roll out of blue iris in a professional enviroment, we're currently using a dell cs24-sc(which i hate but it works) and i have a projected scaling of 18 cameras on 2x xeon x5460 (we're looking at moving to a newer e5 system before we get past that) GPU wise the only thing i had that would fit that system was a quadro 600 currently which i added to test the video encode when it becomes available but there isn't any information until it goes live to decide how big of a card would be needed to accelerate that

Do you have any constraints on rack units of space to use? or power?