troubles with flashing the SM X9SCM-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SantaSCSI

May 22, 2011
I've received my ebay'ed X9SCM-F board yesterday, only to find out there is an admin password on the bios and nothing to boot from but PXE. I got it to PXE boot a dos disk to upgrade the BIOS but the flashing tool is now sitting on a blinking cursor for 15mins now:

Has anyone else had this behaviour before? I tried to reset the BIOS using the super.rom procedure from supermicro but the board refuses to acknowledge the existance of anything remotely USB :(.

Mike2015

Jul 29, 2015
This site did an article about resetting the IPMI password:
http://www.servethehome.com/reset-supermicro-ipmi-password-default-lost-login/
You can also contact Supermicro technical support for assistance, I've found them really helpful when I purchased that board and found the bios version didn't support the intel v2 CPU I was trying to use....they may have a jumper or something you can set to clear the IPMI back to factory defaults....?
Cheers,
Mike

SantaSCSI

May 22, 2011
I found that article too but it's about IPMI, not bios. The IPMI password was still default (ADMIN/ADMIN).

I've thrown SM an email, but I'm not sure how far they are willing to go for a motherboard that doesn't even have a serial number anymore. Wait and see.

Booting from CD/DVD does work though, so it's not blocking me totally, but I'd rather get this cleared out before putting it into daily use.

SantaSCSI

May 22, 2011
Whelp, last try best try. I tried Patrick's ISO and now it does continue the flash. With the new BIOS version the admin password also got removed.

setsunakawa

Aug 23, 2015
Whelp, last try best try. I tried Patrick's ISO and now it does continue the flash. With the new BIOS version the admin password also got removed.
I have exactly the same problem: an admin password on the bios :(.
Is it possible to have the ISO?

Thanks you!

setsunakawa

Aug 23, 2015
I really had to go into the bios, I took a raspberry, installed flashrom and flashed the whole flash.
Password removed !