Tripplite UPS Problems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I purchased a NEW (surprising I know!) Tripplite On-Line UPS a year or so ago, and finally went to put it into service and it won't turn on :(

I tore it down and pulled the batteries to make sure they were connected / not in a shipping setup, and they looked fine. Reconencted wires, put them back in, tried again... no go :(

Any ideas? What to look for next?

I know some don't like TrippLite products but I've had great luck with them (6+ units) over the past 10 years.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
when you say wont turn on, do you mean like no power anywhere? did you also try holding down the power button a few seconds to see if it tuns on then?

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
The batteries are probably dead from sitting. I have a few Tripplite online UPS's if the batteries are too low of voltage the unit won't turn on.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
when you say wont turn on, do you mean like no power anywhere? did you also try holding down the power button a few seconds to see if it tuns on then?
Correct, and I did do that... nothing.

The batteries are probably dead from sitting. I have a few Tripplite online UPS's if the batteries are too low of voltage the unit won't turn on.
Well that is promising! I have other "new" old stock replacement batteries I'll fresh charge manually then attempt inside the unit.
I hope that's all it is.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Multi-stage lead acid charging circuits often rely on the actual terminal voltage of the battery pack itself to regulate charging current. If the battery is stone dead, the charging circuit effectively shuts down. Usually a quick blast from a standard lead acid charger, to get something usable in the way of current back into the battery, is enough to get things going again. If there's multiple batteries, give em all a quick blast, because the internal resistance of each cell will play a part in the final terminal voltage seen by the charging circuit :)